Nexus Vs. Sturmey Archer??

Bonefish

Local time
11:57 PM
The next build I'm contemplating is a cruiser. I'm getting too old to be leaning over a MTB. Thinking about an internal geared hub as well. It is hard finding cruiser frames that are multi-speed, and was considering running the engine thru an internal geared hub thru a set of freewheel cranks.

Noticed that Sturmey Archer makes an 8 speed with a drum brake, and Shimano makes the Nexus in a 7 speed with a roller brake. What is a roller brake? Is it the same thing as a drum brake?

If I take the hub off of a single speed coaster brake bike, would either or both(sturmey archer 8 speed, or nexus 7 speed)fit in the axle spacing on a single speed cruiser?

If you had to choose between the two which would you go with?

Thanks,

axle spaceing on the s/a 8 speed is wider than the single speed coaster brake hub,.. but it is a relatively simple thing to pull the frame apart to fit it in (you'll need a friend ,..or a couple of ratchet type tie down straps,.. ive used both methods)

as for the roller brake here is a review from sheldon brown,..

""Rollerbrake ®
A Shimano trademark for a variant form of hand-operated drum brake. It uses a ring of rollers pushed outward by a cam to engage the brake shoe with the drum. The cam is operated by a cable from a hand lever.
These brakes are prone to fading due to overheating if used in mountainous terrain.

I particularly advise against using a front Rollerbrake, because the front hubs made for these brakes incorporate the infamous and wrong-headed "Power Modulator " mechanism which reduces the effectiveness of the brake.""

i use the S/A 8 speed with drum brake and like it a lot,.. S/A makes a nice front drum brake hub as well,.. and they work well together when used with a dual pull brake lever.

I too have been thinking about my next build.... If I'm going to spend the money on a internal hub.... might as well spend a little extra and get the NuVinci hub with disc brake. I know, I know, the beach cruiser doesn't have disc brake tabs. I welded the tabs on the front several months ago and it is working great. I'm sure I could weld them on the rear too.

Imagine.... Townie Beach cruiser with cushy 26x3" tires, cushy big seat, dual disc brakes, Honda 50, Nuvinci hub...... I can hear the angels singing....

Thanks for the info,

I heard the Nuvinci hub weighs 11lbs. Is this true? Rolling weight is different from stationary weight. If it is 11lbs, that is something I would never want. That is horrible. That is only one factor though. The other is cost/price. I do not like paying for new technology when it first comes out. I like to wait till they get the bugs worked out and then lower the price.

If you want a decent deal on a nuvinci laced to a good rim.........

click:

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/bik/1795230194.html

I'll have to check into that SRAM internal hub. I didn't know they made one.

Townie's are nice, an Electra Hellbilly will turn more heads.

That is one sweet ride.

Looks like SRAM makes several different ones.....................

a 9 speed one......

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/sram.html

a 7 speed one......

a 5 speed one...

http://harriscyclery.net/product/sp...-36h-122mm-oln-no-shifter-sku-hu2508-qc49.htm

and a 3 speed one....

the three speed looks like it doesn't have drum brake compatability but the 5 speed does at a price that is relative to Sturmey Archer and Nexus.

That 9 speeds price is in the Nuvinci Code. But if it weighs less....................

That maybe a better route to go for those considering Nuvinci.

the 3 speed comes with or without the coaster brake. I have one for sale without the brake.

Back