NH Stingray Build

Hello everyone,
I received my engine kit in the mail Monday night. I have it all together and on the bike, minus the gas tank and drive chain.
The chain that came with the kit is too short :censored:. So I ordered a new one from dax... and from what I hear it will be a while before it gets shipped :(.
I'm patient and all, but ****! I've been waiting constantly the past few weeks. Schools been going by especially slow, because I want to come home and put some more pieces of the bike together:)

Sorry for the crappy picture... my room is small and my bike is large.

Quick question to fellow stingray enthusiasts...
Would I be able to mount V-brakes to my front forks using the holes utilized by the cruiser pegs? has anyone done this?
-thanks

Attachments

• STA71089 (Large).JPG
    STA71089 (Large).JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 1,174
hey 4 doora. yea, i bent my exhaust with a butane portable torch, i borrowed from my dad. but as for the front brakes, im having drums installed for 130, cause with the schwinn (look at the spokes for this) on a normal tire, the spokes cross the other spokes. with the schwinn, this is not so. with the stingray, it is laced straight, so if you installed a drum withough getting it relaced, it would mangle your wheel. so thats why getting drums installed is so expensive. my biuke shop said i need a 120 spacing. he is trying to locate a drum, withought shipping (local shops) but if you are on a budget, or like me have holes in your shoes, try doing what i did. i got 2 hose clamps, and tighetend them down with a scoket wrench. it still truns a bit, but i suppose a back brake might have a long enough stud to go through both, there by eleminating the slop mine has. by the way, i have tried mounting the lenear pulls vee brakes, whatever ya want to call em (like on the back) it will not work. i was so frusterated, i dont even want to go into detail. anyway, heres the link to the vid. i actually am using the back brake lever, and i took the pads off my back brake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29nEGRlVWe0

hey 4 doora. yea, i bent my exhaust with a butane portable torch, i borrowed from my dad. but as for the front brakes, im having drums installed for 130, cause with the schwinn (look at the spokes for this) on a normal tire, the spokes cross the other spokes. with the schwinn, this is not so. with the stingray, it is laced straight, so if you installed a drum withough getting it relaced, it would mangle your wheel. so thats why getting drums installed is so expensive. my biuke shop said i need a 120 spacing. he is trying to locate a drum, withought shipping (local shops) but if you are on a budget, or like me have holes in your shoes, try doing what i did. i got 2 hose clamps, and tighetend them down with a scoket wrench. it still truns a bit, but i suppose a back brake might have a long enough stud to go through both, there by eleminating the slop mine has. by the way, i have tried mounting the lenear pulls vee brakes, whatever ya want to call em (like on the back) it will not work. i was so frusterated, i dont even want to go into detail. anyway, heres the link to the vid. i actually am using the back brake lever, and i took the pads off my back brake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29nEGRlVWe0
:eek:
I sure hope that's temporary...
no offense but it doesn't look very safe

No real updates. I got the gas tank on.
dax said my chain should arrive some time mid-next week :-/
Until then, I wait.

I got a nice surprise when I came home today, My chain arrived in the mail!:D
It's all mounted, now I just need to wire the kill switch and I'll be all set.

Attachments

• STA71090 (Large).JPG
    STA71090 (Large).JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 306
sweet! yea its definately temporary, the bike guy is still looking for a hub..... as a result of having only 1/2 of my shoe gone, i am having ankle probs, so i have no choice than to use this brake.

The lowes question for others that need to know the chain is found near the bottom drawer in the specialty fasteners section in Hardware. They use it for like garage door openers and such. Their sizing is a bit different,but take your chain with you and match it up. Sometimes you'll have to order it from them too for it seems this chain is widely used for something else probably garage door openers.
Then the BMX chain I think you have to do some filing to get the sprockets to seat right.

BALLS!
I finally started her up for the first time today, and took a ride around the block. Purrs like a kitten :cool:
And I remembered to snag some decent pics too.
Unfortunately I have to leave for work now.
Later

Attachments

• STA71092 (Large).JPG
    STA71092 (Large).JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 282
  • STA71094 (Large).JPG
    STA71094 (Large).JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 244
  • STA71095 (Large).JPG
    STA71095 (Large).JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 267
Nice build looks like those brakes can be secured with a piece of flat stock and a block of wood as a spacer in a pinch

hey everyone...
I rode my bike to work for the first time today
everything was fine when I was zipping up and down my road to warm her up.
on my way my choke lever kept engaging, so I had to keep stopping to disengage it. I tried making like MacGyver and stuck a piece of chewing gum to the lever, along with a twig. that worked just barely.
after that I'm driving down 111 and just before I hit 3a the engine bogs out and dies. So i have to pedal the rest of the way. 2 miles of pedaling that beast of a bike is no picnic. I tried to start it a couple times on the way, but couldn't get her to fire up. Luckily my dad brought his pickup to get me after work
Haven't got into the garage to troubleshoot it yet though... maybe tomorrow :-/

on top of that my gas cap fell off somewhere on the way. I had it on slightly loose because my gas wasn't flowing as well as it should have. I might take my non-power assisted bicycle down the road to see if i can find it tomorrow.

Good news!

turns out my bike wouldn't start because my spark plug was just a little fouled up.
cleaned it up and she's running again.
I also tightened up my choke lever... no more bubble gum :D
And to top it all off, I found my gas cap!

I'm not going to take it to work until I know i have all the bugs worked out.
I'm planning to take a nice long ride tomorrow to make sure everything is honky-dory.
let's just hope it goes smoother than my previous "long rides"

Back