Nitrous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooters Carport

Local time
11:29 PM
How many people have used nitrous on these 2 stroke engines? If so how did the engine take it?

they can handle a little bit of nitrous just fine, but stay away from the nitrous kits available for these engines. they don't inject extra fuel to compensate for the extra oxygen, so they just run lean and more often than not just melt the piston without making any extra power.

I've been toying around with a system that squirts both nitrous oxide and propane into the inlet stream, but haven't put anything to market yet. if you want to fab one up yourself you'll need a nitrous bottle and a propane bottle (I'm using the NX 1 pound bottle and coleman 16.4 oz cylinders), gas pressure regulators for each one, and then the usual system of tubing and jets and solenoid valves. go 1:1 on nitrous/propane mix and play with the jets until a plug chop reads right.

they can handle a little bit of nitrous just fine, but stay away from the nitrous kits available for these engines. they don't inject extra fuel to compensate for the extra oxygen, so they just run lean and more often than not just melt the piston without making any extra power.

I've been toying around with a system that squirts both nitrous oxide and propane into the inlet stream, but haven't put anything to market yet. if you want to fab one up yourself you'll need a nitrous bottle and a propane bottle (I'm using the NX 1 pound bottle and coleman 16.4 oz cylinders), gas pressure regulators for each one, and then the usual system of tubing and jets and solenoid valves. go 1:1 on nitrous/propane mix and play with the jets until a plug chop reads right.
That's an interesting idea actually not bad at all going with propane as the extra fuel source! Now that you have me thinking about it I wonder if a rig could be made and a steel co2 canister for a bb gun could be fashioned to be filled with propane... I've seen screw top canisters for bike tube fillers as an alternative to a pump, maybe one of those permanently fixed with a small ball valve to fill and lock the propane in.. Absolutely possible with brass/copper fittings and solder.

Small enough to put on a kitchen scale so you could weigh the amount of gas inside to get a good fairly accurate ratio of fuel to nitrous. Also smaller than a 1lb lantern tank. Just adding a regulator of some type that let's the propane out at the right amount to the whippet canister seems to be the hardest issue. Maybe a third expansion zone that could intermix the 2 fuels relatively even to what they should be..

That's an interesting idea actually not bad at all going with propane as the extra fuel source! Now that you have me thinking about it I wonder if a rig could be made and a steel co2 canister for a bb gun could be fashioned to be filled with propane... I've seen screw top canisters for bike tube fillers as an alternative to a pump, maybe one of those permanently fixed with a small ball valve to fill and lock the propane in.. Absolutely possible with brass/copper fittings and solder.

Small enough to put on a kitchen scale so you could weigh the amount of gas inside to get a good fairly accurate ratio of fuel to nitrous. Also smaller than a 1lb lantern tank. Just adding a regulator of some type that let's the propane out at the right amount to the whippet canister seems to be the hardest issue. Maybe a third expansion zone that could intermix the 2 fuels relatively even to what they should be..
see, I like the 1 pound coleman tank because it's convenient, and they're like $5 or $6 so it's about the cheapest part of running the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back