No air filter - too lean?

LWalker

Local time
6:06 AM
Hey Everyone,

I am constantly tinkering with my first build - I can't seem to get it to run quite right. I am running a YD100 engine with an NT carb mounted to a Mongoose dirt bike. I've recently done some modifications but now my bike runs TERRIBLY. Can't even crack 5 mph on flat ground and the engine keeps spluttering and popping.

I previously got it working ok - my top speed was only around 20 mph and I had to peddle going uphill but other than that no issues. I wanted to give my bike a little more power so I changed the red plastic air filter for a "performance" filter like the one found at this link: https://tinyurl.com/y3d6qqfn

This actually made my bike have less power. At this point, I went back to the stock NT carb air filter but I didn't include the red cover. Wanting to give my back as much air as possible, I simply attached the spongey filter material using the supplied plastic bracket.

While I was working on my bike I made a few other changes. I had seen my rear sprocket wasn't aligned so I took the back tire off and realigned the sprocket. Additionally I was using an extra extra long offset intake but since I removed the bulky red plastic cover this wasn't necessary. I changed the intake to a standard offset intake. I had hoped this, combined with removing the red cover, would give my bike more power. However, as mentioned, it now runs terribly.

My theory is that somehow removing the red plastic cover has made my bike run way way too lean. Would adjusting the c clip in the carb to supply more fuel address the problem?

One other idea I have is this. I had to manually twist the little sprocket that connects to the clutch lever in order to remove the chain so I could realign my rear-wheel sprocket. This was EXTREMELY difficult. Could I have potentially damaged my clutch somehow? Would that cause a loss of power?

I really need to get this bike working by Wednesday - I'm getting a privates pilots license and I have my first lesson at the local airport on Wednesday. No car so...

Is the motor broke in yet ?. Changing the air filter shouldn't affect how it runs.
How are you mixing the gas to oil ratio ?

Motor definitely isn't broken in. I just don't get why making such minor adjustments had such a major effect of the performance of the bike...

I originally was using 16:1 synthetic oil but this was way too much oil - the bike wouldn't even start. I have been using trufuel 40:1 which I know is a very low gas to oil ratio but it worked very well for me until I made these modifications.

Make sure spark plug is clean and check the electrical connections. Bypass the kill switch to see if the switch is bad.

Also check under the magneto cover and make sure there is no moisture or corrosion. If it looks bad, soak it with brake cleaner and blow out with air and seal the housing with silicone or Vaseline or something on the gasket and a dab of silicone where the wires come out.

I think that carb is running lean, the factory sets those up to run on 50. First off, make sure your float is the right height, then move the clip on the needle down a notch. If it runs better but not the best, then move it another notch.

Back