No clue what to do

Joseph Lavender

Local time
8:38 AM
Hey everybody, my names Joe, I'm completely new to all this but really interested in starting to build and customize. My first question is where to buy and what to but in terms of motor kit, I was thinking of using a mountain or road bike, but my mom LOVES choppers and I guess she passed it on haha, the problem I'm having though is most kits I've seen require a lot of clearance to mount the engine on(I believe they've all required 11" from bottom bracket to top bar) and generally speaking most chopper bicycles don't fit those dimensions. Any solutions that don't require welding? Maybe a specific motor kit or a specific bike? Has to be cheap (but good enough to carry a 6'3" 175lb guy)for the moment though,will be upgraded later. Also brakes would be nice... All the kits I've seen you can only use the front brakes and I don't enjoy involuntary front flips haha. But yeah any help would be appreciated yall, thanks.

Hey everybody, my names Joe, I'm completely new to all this but really interested in starting to build and customize. My first question is where to buy and what to but in terms of motor kit, I was thinking of using a mountain or road bike, but my mom LOVES choppers and I guess she passed it on haha, the problem I'm having though is most kits I've seen require a lot of clearance to mount the engine on(I believe they've all required 11" from bottom bracket to top bar) and generally speaking most chopper bicycles don't fit those dimensions. Any solutions that don't require welding? Maybe a specific motor kit or a specific bike? Has to be cheap (but good enough to carry a 6'3" 175lb guy)for the moment though,will be upgraded later. Also brakes would be nice... All the kits I've seen you can only use the front brakes and I don't enjoy involuntary front flips haha. But yeah any help would be appreciated yall, thanks.
They make adapter brackets for schwin stingrays that require no welds,just bolt the adapter to the bike and the engine to the adapter. There's a couple threads here that can get you going, search bar on top very useful.

Joe, if you want a decent ride. Cheap isn't going to get you there. Cheap = frustration, dysfunction, pain from crash.
Tom from Rubicon

A 49cc 4-stroke fits in just fine.

2_Stingray2DoneL-1280.jpg

2_Stingray2DoneR-1280.jpg

Also brakes would be nice... All the kits I've seen you can only use the front brakes and I don't enjoy involuntary front flips haha. But yeah any help would be appreciated yall, thanks.

Hey Joseph, I'm pretty new to motorized bikes myself and had KC Vale assemble mine for me. I got it about six months ago and did most of my riding in the last month because of hand issues back then. Just like you, I had a concern about my rear wheel leaving the ground and me flying forward like my Trek mountain bike used to do when it was just a bike and I had separate front and rear brakes. My motorized bike however has one brake handle that controls both front and rear brakes and I was very happy to experience zero problem and zero fear of a bicycle endo situation, including genuine emergency stops. It actually goes into a skid that's so controllable that I could ask for nothing better, including a slight turn if needed. You may find others concerned with having all of your braking connected to ONE cable only, and I can see their point to an extent. Something to consider. Now of course my experience is very limited to my own bike and it's specific weight distribution. This is the only motorized bike I've ever rode. My bike is KC's White Racer. A Trek 930 frame.******** Also the motorized version of my mountain bike has the seat adjusted much much lower than it would be if I was pedaling with a properly adjusted seat. Most regular bicycle commuters I see have their seats too low I've noticed.

Last edited:
I bough a cruiser from this place:
https://www.azbeachbikes.com/
Paid 300 for it. It’s a great bike, well balanced, and durable. It came with everything needed. You build it from the ground up. It was quite fun. This was my first build and amazingly it runs great! I have made a couple improvements already (better chain, better chain tensioner) and put a bike rack on the back. It’s a nice ride.

Back