No compression

Zac

Local time
2:02 AM
I finally got my bike out, and went to bump start it. It started, but barely ran. It wouldn't idle and only went like 7 mph, and I was pretty sure it was compression issue. I went to torque the head nuts, and one was stripped. That could be the problem, but could it also be the piston rings not sealing? Are they supposed to be on a certain way? Or is there anything else I can do to get my bike running properly?

I finally got my bike out, and went to bump start it. It started, but barely ran. It wouldn't idle and only went like 7 mph, and I was pretty sure it was compression issue. I went to torque the head nuts, and one was stripped. That could be the problem, but could it also be the piston rings not sealing? Are they supposed to be on a certain way? Or is there anything else I can do to get my bike running properly?
Yes the rings got to go on a certain way, they got a piston ring locator dowels on the intake side of the piston. The rings have a half circle cut into the ring end gaps that locate around the locator dowel pins on piston. Yes first get your stripped out cylinder stud remedied. I can get some pics if you dont understand my wording/Lingo

Sounds like stale fuel to me, remove and clean your carb out.

I'm running a brand new carb, so that's not a problem.

Nvm I miss read that. Is this it? And how do I tell if the fuel is stale?

Attachments

• 20220212_190808.jpg
    20220212_190808.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 87
Nvm I miss read that. Is this it? And how do I tell if the fuel is stale?
Those rings are right. If you smell the fuel in your tank and it doesn't quite smell like new gas. Ethanol laced fuel goes flat fast.

Oooh makes sense, I had 93 high octane sitting for a few months. Would that be it?

Yeah the fuel smells kinda sour and old
I hate the smell of gasoline, so I really know the smell of fresh. I'm fixing a golf cart for a bud, and I say to him, "hey, smell that" he almost passed out from that sour/varnish kinda smell.

Back