NO FLEX Hybrid mag wheels

I have seen the mag wheels and I won't even try them because of the cons that I've read about them. I have a bike that has a little over 30,000 miles on it that's from two motors and I am using the same spoke wheels that I started with. So for me anyway that kind of longevity is worth just keeping the spoke wheels.
I have only ever had these mag wheels used them on 2 different builds. Ive owned 2 sets of them for around 5years. I have never had any problems with them breaking or anything. But I have noticed the flex and that does worrie me. But since im about to use a motor that is 7hp out the box and soon to be 10hp after that. Im going with 11g 48spoke sealed bearing wheels. so i figured might aswell try to fix these if I can have nothing to lose. so far its working

@Jayraye39 I understand your creative intentions
Sometimes Ideas are worth trying, Because ya know you can and you know it'll work to some degree (y)

I did something kinda like what Jayraye did to a nylon (plastic) wheelchair wheel but for different reasons

I wanted a 26" tuff wheel
I had a Wheelchair wheel that I knew I could convert to a rear bicycle wheel but a 26" bicycle tire wouldn't fit on it
With a little work I was able to fit a aluminum bicycle rim around the wheelchair wheel OD and by getting a steel bicycle wheel hub and hardware By splitting the hub in half I was able to install the rear bicycle hub & sprocket on the wheelchair wheel, Then by notching/ shaving the wheelchair wheel plastic spokes so the steel spokes could pass thru . I was able to lace the wheel with steel spokes, just like a bicycle wheel, It worked as I expected except there was only one problem I didn't account for,
The wheelchair wheel plastic spokes had too much wind resistance and made the bike hard to peddle.
It was like peddling a wind resistance exercise bike :LOL:
The wheel sure was a good conversation piece but that's about it.

Just to put this out there. There are 2 types of ways for an idea to work.

Works initially - proof of concept. This is where you are. Spokes added tensioned bracing to the wheel to help keep it in line and minimize lateral flexing.

Works Overall - aka long term durability/reliability. A Paper airplane can fly, but if you need it to fly in the rain it no longer works. New engine designs can work in a lab and in test cars, but after 5-10 years of real world application the real flaws of the design can surface. Example: The early VW 2.0L 4cyl engine and it's plastic water pump impeller. Worked great, right up until it didn't.

Don't take this as an attack on your experiment. It's not. I am just more curious about the long term durability of the wheel. There are a few unknowns that can only be answered over time.

Just to put this out there. There are 2 types of ways for an idea to work.

Works initially - proof of concept. This is where you are. Spokes added tensioned bracing to the wheel to help keep it in line and minimize lateral flexing.

Works Overall - aka long term durability/reliability. A Paper airplane can fly, but if you need it to fly in the rain it no longer works. New engine designs can work in a lab and in test cars, but after 5-10 years of real world application the real flaws of the design can surface. Example: The early VW 2.0L 4cyl engine and it's plastic water pump impeller. Worked great, right up until it didn't.

Don't take this as an attack on your experiment. It's not. I am just more curious about the long term durability of the wheel. There are a few unknowns that can only be answered over time.
I see where many of you are coming from but one can really only understand the science behind these wheels if you have had a pair.

You would know how they flex when they flex and just how much they flex. the pattern and angle of the hub area also needs first hand knowledge. as the area around the hub is like a step going up then a step going down. this carries all the way around the hub area.
Each spoke hole is located at a different step and never on the same plane.

The physics of the the spokes order is very simple. we already know the flex is eliminated. so the only other option for cracks and breaking would be around the hub area.

But this cannot be because of the shape of the bottom area as i explained. their is too much material and to many angles for a crack to travel to the next hole. its just to strong.

The holes are also not placed on any spoke where stress could be. the holes are between the mag spokes out of harms way with very little if any stress at their location.

Before, we knew that The failure was from flex which has been transfered to the wire spokes. believe me when i tell ya. the only area these wheels can fail is the wire spokes. after riding and feeling how they perform Im so confident that they are a better version of themselves that im going to ride with them with my new relli until the mags give out.

So this thread will be here awhile because these wheels are too structurally sound. Or until someone else does this and also chimes in with their experince. If anything I can say i feel much safer with a few tiny holes in the rim compaired to the crazy amount of movement they had and thats the truth.

With all the diy mods I have posted. 6-7 not a single one has failed yet. the only one that came close was the super clutch mod. The system worked and didnt fail. i just didnt have extra cable pull or the right length bucking bar. so I scratched it.

But other than that all my mods ive done I still have and are still operational to this day. Just like thoes other mods. yes only time will prove the concept. It will also prove my ideas arnt as crazy as they seem. Risky but not unreachable Their just ideas that nobody has had the eye to see .. keep posted Ill update every few months with insite on the mags

With all the diy mods I have posted. 6-7 not a single one has failed yet. the only one that came close was the super clutch mod. The system worked and didnt fail. i just didnt have extra cable pull or the right length bucking bar. so I scratched it.

But other than that all my mods ive done I still have and are still operational to this day. Just like thoes other mods. yes only time will prove the concept. It will also prove my ideas arnt as crazy as they seem. Risky but not unreachable Their just ideas that nobody has had the eye to see .. keep posted Ill update every few months with insite on the mags
Your other DIY mods don't directly affect rider safety as profoundly as modifying a wheel in such a manner.

By the way, I am not saying it doesn't/won't work. Not trying to attack you in any way, I am just a big believer in pudding. That's where the proof is.

Back