No Ht Motors For Usa In 2010

I came across this on the grubee website today.
SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THIS ISN'T TRUE.

Hay USA!! Important Note for the upcoming 2010 year:
In 2010, at least as of Nov. 5th 2009, non of the 2 cycle engine factories in China have been able to get their engines EPA certified to the new rating of 40CFR 1051.

Meaning; no 2 cycle bike engine shipments will be able to enter the USA after Jan 1. 2010 unless something changes. From Jan. 2008 to March 2009 the EPA rating has been 40CFR 90 off road non hand held but now changed to 1051 off road recreational vehicle which is the same class as a snowmobile. USA Import Buyers beware;

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE WAKE ME UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE:confused::confused::confused::devilish::devilish::cry::cry:

Justin from Piratecycles e-mailed me back about a question i had.
He says after the 6th of this month no more Grubee can be shipped to the us.
I guess it's not so much of a rumor.

No wonder Jim Manic Mechanic and Tony at RS are working on a new motor.
If they can get them EPA Approved they won't have any competition.

There motors will certinally be in high demand.

Its only going to get worse if they allow states to write their own emssions standards as they are talking about.
I avoid these topics as they turn political in nature, but thats the heart of the problem.Discussing it here won't effect any change you have to take it up with your reps.

Remember that all evolution eventually ends in extinction..............

Heck, I think my new 2 stroke leaf blower has a three way catalyst, and evaporative emission controls. Silly tree huggers..........
well, when a group regularly thumbs its' nose at existing regulations, instead of trying to find comfortable compromise, then i guess evolution could mean extinction over time...but all we'll hear is the same old lame old (and self-serving) complaints. shoulda never offered anything larger than a 48cc, and the aftermarket shoulda thunk of the future a bit more than just today's dollar.

imo, of course.

musical trivia: cue "tommy james & the shondells - draggin' the line"...i've often wondered if that song was the first reference to "tree-huggin'" ...gol-danged hippies :giggle:

Last edited:
Why can't they just add a catalytic converter? Surely that would pass EPA specs. I agree though, this is ridiculous. Every minute that congress is in session, a little bit of our freedom is taken away.

If Tanaka and Mitsubishi can meet the regs so can other manufacturers. The cheap HT engines will have to be manufactured to better tolerances and quality and will no doubt cost more, Some manufacturers will try and some won't care and some will comply, eventually.

this isn't about "losing" freedoms...it's about "abusing" freedoms...as a group, we've enjoyed quite a bit of freedom up to now...and we carped all over it by exercising (agressively asserting) our "freedom" of choice.

and what about someone else's freedoms besides "yours?" there is a large faction of MB'ers who use equipment that's never posed a threat to our movement, yet right now they all wait with bated breath to see if someone else screws it up for them too. i wonder how free they feel?

'mike45...i agree...i absolutely love the HT integrated powertrain...but i
don't think much of anything else about it at this time, altho it still has great potential...

just imagine what a tanaka-quality 43cc HT could do.

Last edited:
If Tanaka and Mitsubishi can meet the regs so can other manufacturers. The cheap HT engines will have to be manufactured to better tolerances and quality and will no doubt cost more, Some manufacturers will try and some won't care and some will comply, eventually.

Some of the stricter regulations pertain to evaporative emissions. The catalytic converter only controls exhaust emissions. The self contained Tanaka and Mitsubishi type engines are self contained and have an integrated fuel system. The HT motor would have to have an integrated fuel tank in order to address the evaporative emissions.

I don't know about other states, but California required that gas cans all be redesigned a few years back. That was an effort to control evaporative emissions. It generally works but often causes additional problems especially after they develop a build up of pressure in warmer climates. Then, when you go to fill your lawnmower, the gas shoots all over the place. That just wiped out all the emissions savings from the new design.

You could argue that since the HT engine does not even have a fuel tank, it does not have any emissions. That only happens after someone builds a bicycle with a gas tank on it and then mounts an HT engine. I don't know if that is a loophole or not.

The HT engine is basically a kit and cannot be run as an engine by itself. I don't see how they can stop someone from selling a non-running set of parts since it can't pollute as it is sold. Maybe it will still be legal to buy the basic engine separately. Maybe just the engine minus the carburetor and exhaust. Or maybe just the short block. How they can stop the import and selling of individual components?

Last edited by a moderator:
just makes my robin/subaru eho35 look even better. I agree with augi though... this will just make mb engines better.

Back