No Ht Motors For Usa In 2010

I came across this on the grubee website today.
SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THIS ISN'T TRUE.

Hay USA!! Important Note for the upcoming 2010 year:
In 2010, at least as of Nov. 5th 2009, non of the 2 cycle engine factories in China have been able to get their engines EPA certified to the new rating of 40CFR 1051.

Meaning; no 2 cycle bike engine shipments will be able to enter the USA after Jan 1. 2010 unless something changes. From Jan. 2008 to March 2009 the EPA rating has been 40CFR 90 off road non hand held but now changed to 1051 off road recreational vehicle which is the same class as a snowmobile. USA Import Buyers beware;

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE WAKE ME UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE:confused::confused::confused::devilish::devilish::cry::cry:

It's funny how "Free Trade" is allowed to undercut the American working wage to the point where we've lost the majority of our manufacturing jobs (too say the least). Now when Americans have become smart enough to save a few bucks, putting a motor on a bike... The Government comes back and sites environment concerns to shut down the idea! Further adding insult to the injury is the idea that many of the factories that left, did so in part to escape EAP regulations... Just look at what GM did to a few Mexican cities!

MB'rs have found a way to evade the fuel taxes, we need to shut them down, :(The thoughts of our Government). This is all about Global control, not the Global Market or free trade nor the Environment. The noose is tightening arround the American citizens neck every day and people don't see it!

"smuggling" and other trade-violations is what resulted from the previous "ban"...the ban forced the implimentation of the catalyst...the HT market responded, tho grudgingly...now the HT faces another battle, and using loopholes doesn't work for long as already demonstrated.

geez loo-eez...just comply already, it can be done...or keep looking for ways to "cheat" us all off the road. these are supposed to be "motorized bicycles" and there are a loose set of specs in play. if you think you can keep riding unsafe "motorcycles with pedals" and noone's gonna try to stop it, then you're really not thinking at all.

keep in mind the gub'mint has more loopholes at its' disposal than you, so fight a smart fight instead of a losing one.

c'mon now, think about it...how bee-yoo-tee-fool would a modern & completely compliant HT (meaning motorized bicycle) be to behold & experience?

technically-speaking...the "evaporative" clause is about a diaphragm carby with return line, and not really about an attached tank...i highly recommend that HT'ers spend some time in "rack" and "friction" and learn more about modern 2-stroke engines than can be learned with a Happy Time, then you'll understand what needs to be done to the HT.

Last edited:
Augi, not sayin I disagree with you... Just pointing out the double standards our Rich Elitest Global Government is putting upon it's people...

You can't buy an HT because of pollution laws, but you can move your Factory that used to employ thousands here in America to Guatalajara and evade EPA regulation by dumping Toxic sludge in the streets. Further, you can purchase "dirty power" down there cheap to run the plant!

and i do not disagree with you about that...but we know better than to get started down that road, we'll get all worked up for nothin', and that's not heart-healthy ;)

all i'm trying to get across is that there ARE solutions, for anyone willing to compromise, and (just a generalization) throwing a tantrum about freedoms isn't one of 'em (see above)...like i said:
fight a smart fight instead of a losing one.

there's a lot of talent here...anyone intelligent enuff to tweak an HT for speed & performance would know how to do the same for emissions & efficiency, if that were the goal.

MY goal is to keep riding, and i hope noone else screws it up for me.

Last edited:
...keep in mind the gub'mint has more loopholes at its' disposal than you, so fight a smart fight instead of a losing one...

technically-speaking...the "evaporative" clause is about a diaphragm carby with return line, and not really about an attached tank...

I have not looked into it in enough detail, but the diaphragm carby that you mentioned seems like it would be advantageous, at least for eliminating vented float bowl emissions. Even so, the more important aspect of evaporative emissions is keeping the gas tank from venting. That usually includes a sealed gas cap and often a charcoal canister. All of my later model motorcycles and scooters have float bowl carburetors, sealed gas tanks, and small charcoal canisters.

If they are targeting evaporative emissions, than the fuel tank that they ship with the HT engine may be a bigger offender than the engine itself. Just like they did with the gas cans, they may require a redesign of the motorbike gas tank.

You are right about “loopholes”. And if a loophole gets exploited too much, it will be closed. It would be a shame if they tried to outlaw all home built motorized bicycles. Some people would consider building your own a loophole. It is possible that they could require any completed motorized bicycle to undergo pollution testing and certification. That could kill the home built motorized bicycle business/hobby.

They have already tackled all the polluters that give big savings. Now they are going after the nickels and dimes. Next it will be pennies. Maybe a catalytic converter on your Cox .049? At what point does it become the regulators just trying to justify their existence?

I tried to avoid it, but I guess now I’m making it political.

Last edited:
I am listening to talk radio right now and Jazz Mccay is talking about how they are banning 2-stroke gas powered blenders here in California. I guess the air resource board is ticketing people using them at college tailgate parties.

So... I guess this is just being applied across the board to all 2-stroke "non-compliant" small engines. Stock up now and get em while you can.

well, Scotch'...it is political, in a sense..."our" politics have been unbending and i think our free ride is over because of that...accommodation was already made, by and large, for an assist drive of 48cc/2HP/30mph/single-speed to be installed on a bicycle...but that wasn't good enuff it seems, nothing is ever good enuff...so the "few" have lined their pockets, and now the "many" may be hung out to dry. even in our small MB-corner of the world, that's politics as usual far as i'm concerned.

y'all realize, i hope, that over the last couple years MBc has provided the rule-makers with everything they need to go after the HT...speeds and engine-sizes, other violations of the MB-definition as well...all laid out there in detailed glossy blatant narcissistic fashion...so, "we" did this to our own dang selves, after all.

shoot, 'vtec...gas-powered blenders, when a reliable source of energy (automotive electrics) is already available...well, that's just american-consumerism at its' most obscene, imo.

Last edited:
y'all realize, i hope, that over the last couple years MBc has provided the rule-makers with everything they need to go after the HT...speeds and engine-sizes, other violations of the MB-definition as well...all laid out there in detailed glossy blatant narcissistic fashion...so, "we" did this to our own dang selves, after all.

We may have been getting a free ride as far as pollution, but there are plenty of other requirements and I comply with them. My motorized bike has lights, horn, mirror, is "registered" and has the plate displayed. I also have an electric "moped" which performs just as well as the gas bike. Range is the main drawback of the electric bike.

They are going after the manufacturers to gain compliance. Unless they ban the use or introduce some kind of individual compliance testing, there will always be examples that may pollute excessively. Those few are not worth going after. People will adapt whatever engine is available or easiest to use. Or they will make their own engine. The only reason that we don't see more model airplane engines on bikes is because the HT engine is better for the job.

Attachments

• coxbike.jpg
    coxbike.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 293
Last edited by a moderator:
Give us a real source. People have been saying this all year...but no one cites a source.

Yes, a verifiable source. Until then it amounts to not much more than speculative internet blather and certainly not the first incidence.

shoot, 'vtec...gas-powered blenders, when a reliable source of energy (automotive electrics) is already available...well, that's just american-consumerism at its' most obscene, imo.

where exactly do you think the power for the automotive electricity comes from???

How about the electricity out of your household power outlet??? I have a question you might be able to answer... if they are thinking about banning big screen plasma TV's because they consume too much energy off the grid, what are they going to do when the onslaught of fully electric vehicles hits the consumer market??? Do you really think that will offset "carbon emissions"... or just cause the fossil fuel powered plants to spew more filth???

How about the cfl lighting that supposedly "saves" so much electricity.... is it worth the mercury pollution???

My point is that this legislation will not help the supposed "climate change"... the average ford focus or motorized bike puts out about as much air pollution as the common dairy cow over its life. This sh!t is just becoming ridiculous and this is just the latest manifestation... get off your soapbox.

Back