No Ht Motors For Usa In 2010

I came across this on the grubee website today.
SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THIS ISN'T TRUE.

Hay USA!! Important Note for the upcoming 2010 year:
In 2010, at least as of Nov. 5th 2009, non of the 2 cycle engine factories in China have been able to get their engines EPA certified to the new rating of 40CFR 1051.

Meaning; no 2 cycle bike engine shipments will be able to enter the USA after Jan 1. 2010 unless something changes. From Jan. 2008 to March 2009 the EPA rating has been 40CFR 90 off road non hand held but now changed to 1051 off road recreational vehicle which is the same class as a snowmobile. USA Import Buyers beware;

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE WAKE ME UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE:confused::confused::confused::devilish::devilish::cry::cry:

i guess i should've just let that one go, vtec...but the gas-powered vehicle can perform double-duty recharging while transporting, whereas the gas-powered blender...? anyways, i otherwise agree with you about inefficient energy-consumption in general, and the equally-inefficient legislation related to it.

i think folks need to realize this is NOT about emissions, it's about us pushing the MB-envelope too far for too long...if they use EPA as a weapon, disarm them by complying...how easy is that?

imo, of course.

Last edited:
wow, fast thread :)

Scotchmo, i applaud your attention to safety, a too-often ignored issue...especially since everyone wants more power & speed. that's another topic, tho, but maybe another reason the law deems it necessary to regulate us however they can. keep in mind that the most common MB-engine kit, the larger HT, violates speed and size almost anywhere definitive MB-laws exist. and it hasn't helped that the aftermarket is heck-bent on taking things way beyond reasonable when it comes to those existing regs.

if you're an avid "motorized bicyclist" then you may find yourself using a different engine that you'd prefer, but IF you're an avid MB'ist you won't let that stop you. i'm betting that companies like tanaka won't miss a beat in its' production of compliant 2-stroke engines that can be used on bicycles...IF we're allowed to have any MB at all, that is.

sure, we've heard "the sky is falling" before, but yaknow someday it WILL fall even if we act like it never will.

Last edited:
Well guys i guess thats the way the cookie crumbles.
To little milk and the cookie is too dry.
Too much and the soggy thing falls apart.
There isn't anything to fight.
The other guy is too big so why try.

But alas there is hope.
As improvements will be nessessary to have what we desire.

And someone has allready figured out what those will be.

Not u or I that big guy flexin his muscles.

Only through caos can there be change.

And the 2 cycle will evolve with the chaos.

2-stroke technology has evolved and kept up just fine, it's just some engines that haven't, altho they could...grube could do it, he just hasn't had to, yet. as i stated earlier, i think a "modern" and completely MB-compliant HT would be the cat's meow...if a higher cost comes with the higher quality, people will still buy it :)

Last edited:
... get off your soapbox.

Not all power stations are or need to be fossil fueled, my guess with this global warming **** (i dont believe in it personally) we will see massive wind farms and solar powered power stations built along with hydro where possible. Canada already has a large percentage of its power produced this way, here in Australia we have an ever increasing wind farm presence happening across the states. Ideally to not all cars will need grid power to charge, i envisage there will be alot of hybrids, I think we will see 'environmentally friendly' charging stations at home too perhaps even sold as an 'option' with electric cars in the future? who knows...battery banks with solar cells charging them or wind turbines, knock it all you like but its coming like it or not, thankfully i'm old enough that i wont see the death of the ICE engine entirely in my lifetime, i own electric bikes they have unreal performance no questions there they have the range and power but the lack of sound is definitely depressing ...Nothing like a nice two stroke at full noise or a thumping 4 stroke...hrmz...perhaps i can set up some speakers and mp3 player of a 500cc two stroke at full tilt, integrate the track volume with the throttle somehow hehehe..

KiM

p.s latest nickel-zinc battery (NiZn)
tech batteries are also environmentally friendly

Augi - IMHO, the import of the "oversized" engine above 49cc has nothing to do with the extinction of the HT.

The Mitsubishi, Tanaka and other 2 strokes (and 4 strokes) are built as utility engines, therefore they have a much wider market base. It is worth it for Mitsu to comply with the stricter regulations because most of their 2 stroke utility engines are not used for motorized bicycles - they are used for pumps, generators, tillers, etc.

The R&D required to re-engineer an "HT style" clamp mount bicycle engine for emission compliance (2 or 4 stroke) would cost a lot for a very limited market. Add the fact that MB's are a "grey zone" as far as legality in many states (or illegal altogether) and what businessman/engineer would dare take that risk of money, time and effort. Looks like the catalyst muffler isn't enough now. I wonder what exactly changed?

Just imagine how empty this forum would be without the two stroke HT engine. (I know that some folks would prefer it that way............) I guess we'll see come next year, same time............

Looks like the bicycle engine market will be compliant utility engines coupled to gearboxes or *cough* "drive systems" to power the wheels.

I knew the HT was eventually going to go extinct, I've said these same words previously. Just kinda sad that something so simple in concept will soon be a memory.

I'm of the firm belief that one should be able to do whatever he wants to do as long as it doesn't harm other people. Why then should we not be allowed to ride motorized bicycles? I am just getting my first HT MB up and running and I'll say that even the build itself has been a blast. My father, who is opposed to motorcycles due to their safety is even interested in my build. It seems like the inexpensive HT kit is a great way to get around without the shame of riding a moped and without the danger of a motorcycle. It is really the ultimate machine of freedom and I feel that our government is not acting according to popular sovereignty when they make random decisions to ban the import of certain machines.

I've learned so much from my MB build that it would be a shame if other people in the future won't have the opportunity for such an experience.

Augi - IMHO, the import of the "oversized" engine above 49cc has nothing to do with the extinction of the HT.

The Mitsubishi, Tanaka and other 2 strokes (and 4 strokes) are built as utility engines, therefore they have a much wider market base. It is worth it for Mitsu to comply with the stricter regulations because most of their 2 stroke utility engines are not used for motorized bicycles - they are used for pumps, generators, tillers, etc.

The R&D required to re-engineer an "HT style" clamp mount bicycle engine for emission compliance (2 or 4 stroke) would cost a lot for a very limited market. Add the fact that MB's are a "grey zone" as far as legality in many states (or illegal altogether) and what businessman/engineer would dare take that risk of money, time and effort. Looks like the catalyst muffler isn't enough now. I wonder what exactly changed?

Just imagine how empty this forum would be without the two stroke HT engine. (I know that some folks would prefer it that way............) I guess we'll see come next year, same time............

Looks like the bicycle engine market will be compliant utility engines coupled to gearboxes or *cough* "drive systems" to power the wheels.

I knew the HT was eventually going to go extinct, I've said these same words previously. Just kinda sad that something so simple in concept will soon be a memory.

I think in this scenario people will just rebuild old worn out engines... they might become more valuable too as they become scarce. I haven't heard anything regarding changing our freedom to ride.. just cant import new motors. People will get around this... besides I already have more than a couple back up motors and parts... more than enough to keep me riding for years, dont you???

My advice would be to buy two or three well built engines from a reputable dealer like grubee or spookytooth. Man you guys should live in Cali... this is just another day here.

What scares me is how desensitized I am to having my freedoms stripped from me.

Last edited:
i think it's very cool that we've carried this on and remained lucid & civil.

most of my points are merely other ways to look at something, and in case MB's are being targeted thru a loophole, i'm expressing there are reasons it could happen. our own disregard for the few regulations we've been asked to follow might not be far off-base as one reason.

safety...well, since we can strap most kits on just about any bicycle, we are un-regulatable when it comes to tires, brakes, wheels, bars, lights, etc...i think there are many good reasons that society may have a problem with this, insurance requirements for everyone else we share the road with being a great one to consider. this isn't just about "us" yaknow but about others' freedoms to not have to worry about another un-covered liability.

see, it goes on & on, beyond simple emissions and tree-huggin'...and i'm not saying i agree with all of it, but only saying it's reality. "freedom" is tricky business...taken to the far extreme, your freedom to choose an oversize engine could eventually affect my freedom to ride.

ask yourself this: if you said "heck YEAH! i'm gonna be a Motorized-Bicyclist!!" but then learned your only options remained within those pesky size & power guidelines, would you give up? knowing what i know about most of us, i hardly think so.

anyways, some (still) think wrongly about my "agenda"...i'm a motorized-bicycling "purist" and i love it..."more from less" works for me & i am completely happy working within the regs...and i assert that most of you would be too, if ya didn't already have a taste of something faster or bigger...

i still do believe you'll see a better HT down the road, and i will NOT have a problem with that...unless it's really vehicles like MB's they're after and just using the HT as an excuse. time will tell, and i'm not going to be looking for trouble while i wait to find out, so i will "comply" and hopefully keep riding.

i wonder what they're going to do with all those blender engines? hmmm...lessee...chain, belt, or friction? :whistle:

AussieJester: maybe you could do something with this, tweak the output and hook it into your circuitry :giggle:
Vrroom.jpg

Last edited:
Back