no low end torque after dremmaling the woodriff key on the magnito

Local time
9:20 AM
so i had some half decent low end torque on the bike when jaguars website inspired me to dremmel my woodriff key to off set the timing a little.
now theres not much low end torque, it goes faster but it boggs mid and a the low end it terrible what do i do do you think i should lean out the gas mix or maybe just set the timing back by flipping the key well i did that and it seems like it makes a difference but theres more play so the timing isent exactly where it was before so idk im upset right now and out of gas from trying to ajust it so many times sad face

Hears a rundown after I shaved the key like 1 or 2 mm about the thickness of my fingernail so the magnito slot would be more to the left hand side on the key way when looking at it.

taking off really not good vary slow takeoff slow getting up to speed about halfway to top speed it starts bogging and loseing power but if i hold it fully open and releve engine strain by pulling the clutch then relesing it starts getting up to top speed i may do that 3 times to get to top speed.
before
takeing off was good and cruseing at mid throttle was really smooth and fun kinda 4 stroked a little at full throttle but not too bad at all.

i just want to know what happend so i can fix it i shaved the key about 2 mm and i regapped my plug to about .5mm. the spark plug kind loosend abit befor blowing out the top 2 or 3 threads but i screwed it back in and no leaks.

the air gap is good i ajust the timing by either putting a rope in the spark hole then i tighten it clockwise and it naturally pulls the magnito to the right of the crank shaft before setting at the woodriffkey to get regular timing.

To set retarted timing....
1548455823635.png

im running about 30-1 or 32-1 in that range with some cheap recycled motor oil not for 2 strokes....

Attachments

• 1548455717555.png
    1548455717555.png
    117.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Cheap recycled motor oil not for two strokes? Why? Two stroke oil is only 99c for a little bottle that mixes a gallon. Motor oil is not made for burning and will clog your exhaust and foul your plug. Why not just install a new woodruff key? They are 3 for 99c at my small town local hardware store.

i would reset your timing the stock timing on these motors are just fine as is they are all set to be for low end these motors are screamers but most of the time the port timing has alot to do with it i run full stock motors and they can do 45mph just fine just have a small sprocket 32 tooth for 26inch and 36 tooth for 29er's and your good to go if you want speed

okay ill do that and get better oil lean it out a little tiny bit. idk ill have to get a new key and my gap is like .5 mm witch is i think .02 in. Im upset it was running very well now the bottom end is sad as all hell i guess if you mod for speed your going to loose bottom end.

ive never ran a key before, all you need to do is hammer a sharp blade across the end of the crankshaft thread where the 14mm nut is, try to make a visual line in the crankshaft then use the blade to put 3 or 4 marks extremely close to each other on the magnet so that the crank shaft line lines up with the middle mark on the magnet now you can accurately gauge how much timing your adding or taking. the biggest tip is only move the magnet a tiny bit at a time. ive never had the magnet slip out of place with no key but ive allways held multi grips on the drive cog and just do the magnet nut up just tight enough that you cant move the magnet by hand then move the magnet into the desired timing position with plyers, after its in position i use a flat blade screw driver and wedge it in between the cogs to lock the crack shaft while you do up the nut very tight and you must watch closly that magnet doent move from the marks when your doing the finaly tighten. test it out on the different marks to which has best bottom end but make sure its not detonating at full speed

I like bottom end I think when I get it back to where it was I'll be as happy as I need to be.
Is your crank and rotor keyed at 12:15 or 1:00 because as mentioned above Jag's info was based on the 25 degree btdc engines and now many are are at 20 and if your using an aftermarket cdi it could be as low as 15.If at 15 and now the 2mm drops the base to 9 and yes bottom end will suffer but high rpm will sing hapily away all day!

If there is no advance curve why would you get detonation at high rpms? You will get detonation at low rpms under load if you are too far advanced. The faster you turn a motor the more advanced you want to be for increased power and fuel economy.

Back