no low end torque after dremmaling the woodriff key on the magnito

I think im going to go with bens idea im kinda setting timeing blind because i cant really notice if fit shift to far when i tighten it so this will help alot!

If there is no advance curve why would you get detonation at high rpms? You will get detonation at low rpms under load if you are too far advanced. The faster you turn a motor the more advanced you want to be for increased power and fuel economy.
There is advace on all of them,but when the base timming is too low(retarded) torque suffers big time along with acceleration.Advance helps in the bottom end then as rpm climb you need a curve to start retarding the timming,you have to remember that after 6k the piston is traveling 100x per second and faster and the burn time has to be accounted for so retardind the spark keeps it from trying to compress an allready combusted charge and blowing through the piston.Any good 2t fires at close to zero as it approches 10k or beyond.

If you are taking into account burn time, which you are, you advance the timing as rpms increase. A retarded curve is well backwards. Have you ever used a timing light and revved up an engine? Have you ever set mechanical advance or have a bad diaphragm in a vacuum advance system?

You retard the timing to come down in rpms because if you fire too soon the burn is pushing while the piston is still coming up.

But if the stock CDI has a built in electronic advance then you are saying it is too aggresive and the timing will be way too advanced at high rpms so you counter this by retarding the initial or base timing too much? Seems a correctly programmed CDI would be the solution to not lose low yet gain high. I myself doubt that these CDIs have an advance circuit built in but when i retrieve my timing light back from my brother in law we shall know for sure.

If you are taking into account burn time, which you are, you advance the timing as rpms increase. A retarded curve is well backwards. Have you ever used a timing light and revved up an engine? Have you ever set mechanical advance or have a bad diaphragm in a vacuum advance system?
Frogslayer:
In actuality, if I'm not mistaken, ir's actually a "vacuum retard" system in most older automotive ignitions

How old we talking lol. 60s on up everything that I've worked on driven or ridden has either static ignition or some kind of setup to advance the timing as the rpm increases. Mechanical, vacuum or electronic.

Well it seems backwards but seems you guys are correct. On 2 strokes the faster the rpm the more retarded the ignition. Now i have to dive deep into this to see why this would be so. Crazy.

I've used a 12v timming light that has it's own power source (12v battery) on all the cdi's currently available.You've got it backwards since ALL performance 2t's have a retarded curve for the high side if the timming was advanced then as you said it will fire prior to the piston reaching tdc making detonation more likely and a big loss of power! ALL high rpm 2t's fire at close to 0 at 10k and above for this very reason.if you look at this!
1548533919815.png

Back