Tubes No More Flats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone tried to line the wall of thier tyres with thick heavy duty gaffa/duct tape ?

Years ago, I did. I used duct tape split lengthwise for rim tape. Then used it , [ full width of tape ] to line inside of tire. All seemed to work well & I went a long time befoe I had the next flat. Then , when I tried to get it all apart, the glue from the duct tape had " melted " & everything was a sticky mess ! Tube &&& tire had to be thrown away ! Last time I did that, buttt, I did ride a long time before I had a flat.

why would i when i can line it with whole nother tire?wich is what this thread was started about.try it and u wont be disappointed.

I raced (crashed) demolition derby cars for years and we always doubled or tripled our tires with tubes. You would have to practically rip the tire off the wheel for it to go flat. Didn't even occur to me to double up a bike tire, makes great sense. Thanks. I have learned soooooooooooo much in the few days I have been a member. This is one great site.

JJ

I just had my 2nd flat (rear of course) in 3 weeks. So I got a new tube, cut the bead off an old tire, stuck the old tire inside the existing tire, inflated tube and now I'm good to go again. Now we'll have to see if it makes any difference in the flat problem.

for you poor riders like me you can use my old method when i bmxed....cut an inter tube and duct tape and wrap elec tape around rim where the spoke end on the inside of the rim....ghetto but cost efficient! takes a lil more time too! but i plenty of old busted tubes...don't have to many tires to spares!

What a great idea! I mean you could never do it on a motorcycle. The heat build up would be a disaster. But at our speeds that's not a problem. Thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back