No Motor Yet!

TerminusVox

Local time
8:15 PM
Hi, I'm TerminusVox from Atlanta, and I have a bike.

I wanted to go ahead and register so I could ask questions and get ideas of what works and does not. It's great to find a community interested in what you are interested in, especially when they are already well into making it work!

You're absolutely right. No harm at all in registering and learning a bit before placing your order.

Just read these threads. Any headline that looks interesting. In no time you'll have a notion of just which engine/drive train you want. And you'll likely learn things that'll stop you from making errors with the engine that you do choose.

Have fun.

Just to chime in, spend weeks learning from forum topics and help pages to figure out what would be best for your needs.

This is the biggest mistake new first time builders make, not getting the right bike to start with and the wrong power source just to try to save money.

My advice is learn the differences before you buy anything.

I am sure there are plenty of topics here about choosing, many I no doubt contributed to, but I have it summed up for local buyers here http://kcsbikes.com/BikeFAQ.asp

Take it or leave it but unbiased based on 1st hand experience.

This is the biggest mistake new first time builders make, not getting the right bike to start with and the wrong power source just to try to save money.

My advice is learn the differences before you buy anything.

Advice well taken. Having said that, let me also say, 'oops!'

I have two bikes; one is a nicer MTB built from take off parts (hand-me-downs) and a new frame by my brother. For various reasons I'll be keeping that one as-is. The other bike is a Huffy Cranbrook bought used from Craigslist. I bought the Cranbrook with the thought of motorizing it and not being very speedy. So right there I've gone afoul of your good advice! I will try to do the best with what I have and deem a prudent expense for my entertainment, lol.

But I do appreciate the advice.

Back