No muffler vs muffler

Emcee

Local time
8:53 AM
So let me say this,

I was having clearance issues with the exhaust and the peddles. I searched on here what it would feel without a muffler. People said it's louder, more HP. Many said to that how it will affect the engine in the end.

So the bolts to the muffler came out. I lost one bolt but had a replacement. When it happened I INSTANTLY noticed a difference. It was beyond loud and more importantly I absolutely had decreased performance. It was struggling to accelerate, something similar to when you drive a car with bad spark plugs. I couldn't just accelerate like normal, it was struggling.

So why do people want no muffler saying it's better when it clearly decreases performance. Maybe some didn't have such a bad experience like I did which is why they want to do it.

Side note : I ordered a half moon exhaust hoping I can clear the peddles even more. Has anybody ever had ordered a half moon exhaust with the intent to have better clearence than the standard exhaust? I had to unscrew the bolts a little bit in order for the exhaust to be more flexible. I am having this black stuff come out of my exhaust that's shooting out. Don't know

what it is and if it's normal.

motoredjosh

Local time
7:53 AM
you can bend it to fit between the peddles with a torch, heat the center tube use a vice grip or screw the manufold to a block of wood heat it near the center and shape it to fit.

motoredjosh

Local time
i actually dont recommend heating it that hot while still on the bike, exhausts attached to engines gas tanks frames should not get that hot

Emcee

Local time
you can bend it to fit between the peddles with a torch, heat the center tube use a vice grip or screw the manufold to a block of wood heat it near the center and shape it to fit.

Yeah, I don't have a torch and don't have the $50 to get a tank and torch to use it only one time. The half moon exhaust comes Wednesday so I'm really hoping it clears the peddles. Wasn't sure if anyone else went to a half moon exhaust for the purpose of pedal clearence

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220718-192144.png
    Screenshot_20220718-192144.png
    187.9 KB · Views: 26

motoredjosh

Local time
i seen the banana pipes before not sure how they run next to the stock exhaust minus the baffle, hope you like it

weefek

Local time
well I can tell you one thing.

It's gonna be LOUD. Look into adding a muffler / silencer after the expansion chamber... you'll see

Chainlube

Local time
5:53 AM
So let me say this,

I was having clearance issues with the exhaust and the peddles. I searched on here what it would feel without a muffler. People said it's louder, more HP. Many said to that how it will affect the engine in the end.

So the bolts to the muffler came out. I lost one bolt but had a replacement. When it happened I INSTANTLY noticed a difference. It was beyond loud and more importantly I absolutely had decreased performance. It was struggling to accelerate, something similar to when you drive a car with bad spark plugs. I couldn't just accelerate like normal, it was struggling.

So why do people want no muffler saying it's better when it clearly decreases performance. Maybe some didn't have such a bad experience like I did which is why they want to do it.

Side note : I ordered a half moon exhaust hoping I can clear the peddles even more. Has anybody ever had ordered a half moon exhaust with the intent to have better clearence than the standard exhaust? I had to unscrew the bolts a little bit in order for the exhaust to be more flexible. I am having this black stuff come out of my exhaust that's shooting out. Don't know

what it is and if it's normal.

That black stuff is spent exhaust gases with a little burnt oil in it. Make sure you use a quality exhaust gasket and tighten it up, otherwise you'll dirty up your whole bike. After you run 3 or 4 tanks of fuel through it then you can cut down on how much oil you use in your mix.

Emcee

Local time
That black stuff is spent exhaust gases with a little burnt oil in it. Make sure you use a quality exhaust gasket and tighten it up, otherwise you'll dirty up your whole bike. After you run 3 or 4 tanks of fuel through it then you can cut down on how much oil you use in your mix.
I went with 16:1. I followed manufacturer spec. I figured better too much than too little. After this tank I'm thinking 24:1, or should I drain the remaining gas and go 24:1. Truth be told, I did more than 16:1. My hand was a little heavy and I did 6oz of oil for a half gallon. Unsure if excessive oil has anything to do with this black stuff. There is black stuff on my spark plug too.

The photo is the stock plug. I just got the NGK BP6HS and I don't want to foul it with my rich gas. Don't know if I should start fresh

Attachments

• IMG_20220717_130132170.jpg
    IMG_20220717_130132170.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 28

Emcee

Local time
well I can tell you one thing.

It's gonna be LOUD. Look into adding a muffler / silencer after the expansion chamber... you'll see
My exhaust came off and dude. Holy s**t, I try to keep a low profile as it is on this thing and no exhaust does the complete opposite

Chainlube

Local time
5:53 AM
I went with 16:1. I followed manufacturer spec. I figured better too much than too little. After this tank I'm thinking 24:1, or should I drain the remaining gas and go 24:1. Truth be told, I did more than 16:1. My hand was a little heavy and I did 6oz of oil for a half gallon. Unsure if excessive oil has anything to do with this black stuff. There is black stuff on my spark plug too.

The photo is the stock plug. I just got the NGK BP6HS and I don't want to foul it with my rich gas. Don't know if I should start fresh
Don't worry about the oil, if you're still on the first tank of gas, the next few either. Just make sure you're using a petroleum base oil not full synthetic. Then you'll be good to go to 32:1.