caedicius

Local time
1:21 AM
I recently completed my first build, and I thought I put everything together correctly. After filling the tank with 1:16 oil gas mix, I attempted to start it like everyone does by pedaling with the clutch pedal squeezed, and then slowly letting the clutch engage as I hold down the throttle. When I let go of the clutch, the engine does turn over, but it does not provide any thrust at all, and quickly dies down to a stop. It will not idle, and will only run if I assist it by pedaling. Is there a part broken, or do I have to adjust something?

Update: I was not putting the choke lever down, and after doing so it did live a bit longer. Additionally, I found that the cable that runs into the carburetor from the throttle was not sealed. After correcting these, it did live a bit longer before dying, and occasionally provided thrust. It is still burping and dying pretty quickly. I will check the carb float soon. Would running oil that is too thick prevent the engine from running? I had read 16:1 somewhere, but I also read that putting in too much oil simply caused it to become smoky. Issue persists, but is slightly better.

Choke lever should be down after first signs of life. If it was then move on.

Check the carb float is at 21mm. Sometimes the jet was not tightened in and came loose. Make sure the carb is clean and kept like that.
Wipe with paper towel your intake manifold at the carb, then were it bolts on the cylinder to check for leakage and then under the cylinder head at the top end metal gasket. Head torque's around 10ft-lb/120in-lb +/-10%.

View attachment 98460

Get up too speed 5 to 7 mph with choke on,release clutch lever completely. Then once started squeeze clutch lever back in that way you can flip choke off while still rolling with engine still running Then play with throttle and then letting clutch lever out and pedal with engine to help it get up to engine only. So to idle the clutch lever has to be squeezed

Last edited:
If it still won’t go check carburetor slide or clean the carburetor the jet could be clog or lose.

Im concerned if my bike doesn't fire within 10 feet. I can actually just lift the seat and kick the pedal to start it in 0 feet. That's like pulling your chain saw or snowmachine over 50 times because you won't reach down and use the lever lol. I do pedal my bike some but with the clutch disengaged and no cold engine resistance. I also like the back up option to pedal before the 3rd option, push it or worse, abandon it.

UPDATE: The issue was discovered after I took it to S&M Motorized Bikes in Indianapolis. It turns out that the spark plug socket was slightly stripped, which was causing a loss of compression. Since we were unable to find a replacement head cylinder, the guys at S&M Motorized Bikes LLC swapped out the engine for an 80cc engine. After doing all of this, and adding things like safety lights and tidying up the build, they are only charging me $100. If this ends up working out, I highly recommend these guys for any troubles you can't figure out, and you're in the midwest.

Back