no spark, tried everything I know

MrHungwell94

Local time
6:02 PM
I can't get my engine to start. The spark plug isn't sparking. I've tried replacing the coil with one from an old parts motor I have and purchased a brand new coil, cdi, and spark plug. So that's 3 coils, 2 cdi's, 2 spark plugs, and I can't even get a spark...I'm fresh out of ideas and completely desperate. What else could possibly be wrong?

had one once on which they'd painted the motor so badly that the head was not grounded to the rest of the case - not likely tho in your case

I'd first load all that stuff onto the parts motor & spin that with a drill on the crank to see if it fails to spark also - might be several bad parts working against you.

I'd get out the meter and check all the wiring for continuity and for a short to ground on the blue wire, and the grounding of the magneto coil. I have read some use a wire under a mounting screw while others rely on contact of the coil's iron core to the crankcase. Then there's the kill button, the meter should show an open through it.
The kit's wiring connectors can get corroded or loose and give trouble. Check them wires.
-good luck with it!

Thanks for the tips, I'll report back next time I'm able to work on it. Not sure I'll have enough time tomorrow

I'd double-check the plug wire where it screws into the CDI, check plug boot contacts, and end of spark plug where boot attaches.

Some plug boots require the plug to have the screw-on resistor, some do not. Make sure you got it right regardless!

you are overlooking one very important thing- securing the ground path at the stator coil. It come shellaced from the factory and you need to remove that at the places where the 4 screw heads contact it. That is the ground path for the ignition circuit.
If it still don't work then make sure the coil is good by measuring the voltage it is sending to the CDI.
Also don't crimp the coil wires to the CDI wires. They have to be soldered.

Thanks for the help. So today I went out and bought a multimeter and determined that 2 of my 3 magnetos are junk. On the good one, the blue wire was barely hanging on by a thread so I ripped it right off. Now, I don't have a soldering iron to fix it but I am wondering, why can't I just run it off the white wire? And would simply wrapping the blue wire around its lead create a strong enough connection, or should I go out and buy myself a soldering iron?

In my past builds my coil wires were always electrical taped to the CDI wires (I pull the junk connectors off the ends and wrap the loose wires together and tape them) this is the first I've heard of anyone saying to solder them. May I ask why this is so important?
Edit: this was meant to be a reply specifically to Jaguar's post

Just coiling the wires together and then taping them means they will eventually corrode. And if they corrode enough they will break connection which can cause the stator coil to fail.

you can't use the white wire. It has to be the blue wire. Radio Shack sells cheap soldering irons.

Back