Engine Trouble -no spark- troubleshooting magneto & CDI

srdavo: yes, 2 different ones, various gaps.

'kronic...ahha, then it must be the magneto, maybe the damaged wires in my old CDI brought this on.

the mag is the prob, seen it happen first hand, you would think it would be the CDI, but it's the mag, replace it augidog and you will roll'in once again.

That was one thing that swayed me to buy a Dax engine kit. The parts are cheap. Usually a CDI is a hundred bucks, and a mag....I don't want to talk about the Fairbanks Morse mag for my brothers old Gravely!

On the dax site, everything looked pretty inexpensive.

Plus the 30 day warranty on parts.

CHECKING MAGNETO

Between the Black/ground and the blue lead you should get 270ohms + - 10 percent. IF you do not...Then your mag is bad.

So Frustrated...no spark.

Hello everyone. This is my first post here - I was hoping that I could solve my problem based on other people's experience. This particular thread has been quite helpful. I still have no spark though.

Coming from my engine I have 3 wires - black, blue, and white. From the CDI I have green and black. As usual - the instructions are horrible. They say to hook up the wires to the exact color from the engine to the CDI. Yeah right - maybe if they made the wires the same color I could do that. So I've hooked up black/black and blue/green. Never sparks.

From other posts I've heard that the spark plug boot tends to break after a few times putting it on and taking it off of the plug - mine broke first time. So I went to the local bike shop and picked up a new one. I took my CDI in too - but they said they have no way to test it. So I ask you all - is there a way to test the CDI? I've taken out the plug and hooked it up but I get no spark. Tried grounding it to the engine too - no spark. I hooked up a test LED to my magneto and peddled. It flickered on and off as I would expect.

So - is there a way to see if electricity is coming out of the CDI? I've had this thing put together for 2 weeks now and am completely frustrated.

blue to green (kill switch goes here)
black to black
cap off the white (until you're ready to go nuts trying it for a light)

mag

Aug I was having the same problem I tried to post but you know my problem......
How meny miles do you have on Sabrina?
on mine at about 3000 she was acting up like yours luckly I had some extra parts so I replaced the CDI that was not the problem, replaced the plug, nothing then I cleanded out the bowel and took the mag apart and it was DIRTY!! cleanded the mag out with some MEK and a drop of new greas and there where a LOT of metal shavings in there and just plane ol crud the bike was hard to start but then after choaking the hell out of her she ran like her tail was on fire the engin is geting old now and she has her own personality like an old Ford. But she has made several long runs with no problems

i remember that topic, cookie...yeah i tried everything mechanically logical to no avail...the humidity & corrosive sea-air (i'm literally a spit away from the pacific ocean) is gonna wreak havoc on anything it can get to.

plus, like i said earlier, i experienced physical damage to the cdi wiring that may have been a contributing factor.

replaced CDI & magneto...on the road again :D

thanks to all who helped this old soldier, you know who you are 8)

Back