Engine Trouble No spark - Two Engines, CDI, SPARK PLUGS, SAME ISSUE!

DignifiedRain

Hey all,

Original Issue has been resolved: I needed to tighten the Clutch cable! They really should provide better instructions to how the clutch works! XD
Remember 90 degrees is engaged, 45 degrees disengaged!

New issue: I am getting no spark. The of the same engines, two CDI's, two spark plugs- Same issue. I've checked all the wiring, revamped and cleaned up all cables, fixed spark boot cable (Wires were not touching the screws)- I cant seem to get any of these engines to create a spark! any advice on this would be super helpful!

Original Issue:
I just built my first bike and couldn't be happier with the progress! ... other then the fact it won't start... if you notice something wrong, be gentle! I don't have any previous engine experience and this is my first step into the bike-engine world. - If I posted in the wrong section, please address this and I will move it where it needs to go...

I've decided to go with a basic kit from the internet and a Huffy Cranbrook as my stock testing bike. I'm not trying to build something wildly incredible, just a commuter bike for some fun. I'm not expecting anything out of this other than basic functionality... I've had some poor experiences on other forums due to elitist attitudes. I really don't care for it, please come here with the intention to help, or for learning- otherwise, keep moving.

THE ISSUE: The back tire locks up when the spark plug is in, at first, I assumed it was the piston hitting the sparkplug- after I removed the plug the wheel started spinning with little effort-- however when I cover the spark plug hole with my thumb, I can feel the compression but the rear tire locks up again. I have double/Triple checked the chain tension and length- the engine is new- 80cc kit from eBay seller with a very high reputation for these motors-- though, it's still a stock Chinese motor.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

mony0_3

Does it lock when you squeeze the clutch? If so you need to adjust it. Also need to remove that front fender, it's a death trap!

DignifiedRain

Does it lock when you squeeze the clutch? If so you need to adjust it. Also need to remove that front fender, it's a death trap!

So this issue has been resolved. I found out it was most definitely the clutch not being tight enough! I will be removing the front fender when the front brakes come in on monday~ other then for a test ride, I wont be riding it until the rest of my "extra" stuff arrives.

I do however have a new issue. No spark. Two engines, two CDI's and Two different spark plugs~ still nothing! I cant get a spark to save my life. Im not sure if I can get it to 'demo' spark by rotating the tire while pressing the spark plug onto the engine block or now with a magneto style; checked all the cables (stupid easy) and still... nothing. Im at my witts end with this!

DignifiedRain

Welcome, and try unhooking the kill button to see if you get spark

I have done this as well. I have simplified the process to just the blue to blue / black to black wires. Unless BOTH the CDI or Magnetos or Spark plugs are just... bad~ I'm at a loss to what I should be doing next~

I have trimmed the cables to the spark boot and the CDI (wires were a little janky), directly wired the blue and black for testing purposes. Tried everything under the sun to make the spark plugs work; and measured the gap and verified their distances.

M

Member 30571

My first bike I had to take the magneto off and sand the back of it to get a spark . I wasn't getting a good ground.

DignifiedRain

My first bike I had to take the magneto off and sand the back of it to get a spark . I wasn't getting a good ground.

That is the only part I haven't plucked off. been worried about doing something wrong to it! Its the same of both my engines however. Same exact issue. Its driving me bananas.