NO! This is sacrilegious! (or another LF mod) :D

L

Large Filipino

Heh. MOOP1 had a cable choke. MOOP2 I like to keep simple. Just a throttle and clutch on the handlebar and just a coaster brake.
I don't ride fast anyway as much as MOOP2 wants to go.
I've been so used to my choke controller on my handlebar that I'm finding that finagling with the choke with your left hand is a bit dangerous because I'm looking down and not on the road. Sometimes I have to stop to get the choke right. It would be cool if i can get that choke lever over to the left.
OR.... just switch the throttle and clutch around!
A.throttleswitch.jpg (pardon the lack of grass. Saving water and I have 5 dogs)
Old Indians apparently had their throttles on the left because their gear shifting was handled by the right hand so it's not entirely sacrilegious.
It's cool to ride because not only do you have to get used to having the throttle on your left,it works BACKWARDS meaning you turn your wrist UP to accelerate.

Benefits:

1) Slows down thieves for sure.

2) At an intersection,my right hand is on the clutch therefore my left hand can signal.

3) I feel nostalgic and my bike feels truly personal.

4) Choke is now easily controlled with right hand. No more twisting body or looking down.

5) Epic Win!

Last edited by a moderator:
I ride my XR75 with a left-hand throttle. It's only so I can keep the NuVinci controller on my right hand since thats what requires the most control on my bike. As long as it works for you I don't see how its sacrilege at all. We're all swimming upstream with these bikes in a way anyhow.

I ride my XR75 with a left-hand throttle. It's only so I can keep the NuVinci controller on my right hand since thats what requires the most control on my bike. As long as it works for you I don't see how its sacrilege at all. We're all swimming upstream with these bikes in a way anyhow.

I've never really understood the nuvinci hub - is it like a manual CVT transmission idea?

So far as it sounds you could rev the engine to maximum and have variable speeds at that rpm - is that correct?

Im very curious as I havent even seen one of these in the flesh, let alone ridden one..

Jemma xx

It's supposed to have a 350% range of infinitely variable gearing. In the lowest gear with my setup you can peak rev the engine and hit a top speed of about 9mph, twist the shifter down and you can accelerate all the way to a peak of 32 at the mitsubishi TLE43's stock max rpm. Everything in between is smooth gear changing so there aren't any gear jumps or slips. It allows you to accelerate pretty darn fast by keeping your engine at max torque for any speed you're going. It also rids you of the main MB drawback of not being able to ride at slow speeds because you can gear yourself down to the point that you're engine is getting good torque and does not slip the clutch. I've taken mine up steep mountain trails and dirt roads without pedaling. I can creep up these trails around a jogging speed or less while keeping my engine purring. Another added benefit is the pedal and engine input are on the same shaft so your pedaling cadence always matches up well with engine RPM so you can always pedal comfortably at any speed. The staton gearbox has a freewheel sprocket on it too so it can technically be pedaled un-motored without engine drag however the setup is quite heavy compared to most others on the market so a hill would be very tough to negotiate.

So pretty much, the NuVinci isn't really for flat ground... which means it prolly isn't for me even tho I love the idea.

I love how "the pedal and engine input are on the same shaft so your pedaling cadence always matches up well with engine RPM so you can always pedal comfortably at any speed", but I wish the gearing allowed for just a tad more on the top end. I was under the impression that a Mitsu TLE43 & NuVinci got quite a bit more than 32mph. I was hoping that I'd be capable of pedaling with the engine quite a bit more than 30mph.

And I'm also not a fan of the freewheel being on the gearbox, as opposed to the hub itself. Seems like that would create a tad bit more drag than necessary, but of course... it's better than no freewheel at all.

Well, as I understand it, you could take off with no peddling at all, then slide the shift up through the range until you get to you cruise speed.

If you wanted to pull a trailer, it would also be sweet.

And, it would be ideal for hilly terrain.

So who else besides Sir jakes and Jemma got their throttle to the left?

Lol, sorry Jemma made me hijack your thread LF..

I'm sure the NVhub and mitsu could reach a higher top speed sparky it would just require a larger gearbox freewheel, hub sprocket or mitsu mods. Mine is essentially staton "stock" configuration.
I could run the NV shifter on the lefthand side but I like having the inchworm and logo right side up. I twist the shifter toward me to gear up and away to gear down and use the staton trigger/thumb throttle on the left.

Large couldn't you run a cable to the choke if the lefthand throttle bothered you at all? May be better for your action cam videos though.

I did that with MOOP 1 but this go around I want to keep things simple.
It's been a few days now and I have to say I like this setup a lot.
Just the being able to use my hand signals is plenty.

Back