No top end power

Man I have to keep relaying this info every few years, LOL

So here's the real deal on these bicycle engines, Don Grubee was in China in 2000 for work and saw what the Chinese were doing with their copy of the Latvian bicycle engine, bought one from a street vendor and brought it back to the states later that year, he put it on an old columbia cruiser and was offered $500 for it on it's first ride. The idea was born! He returned, found a foundry to do the castings and began to source the rest of the part's and made some changes again.

Now Don is old a bit picky and paying good money so he want's what he want's no BS, when casting runs went bad and he rejected them, instead of being destroyed and or recycled they mysteriously got sold off to Chinese companies to do with what they do which is copy everything.

This led to Don having to change foundries and still to this day countless law suits being filled against Zeda CDH and others all due really to a bad contract not having the bad casting dealt with properly, but now the damage is done and the original foundry was still pumping out casting as they found buyers for them which created the knock off market the Chinese are famous for.

So real truth of the matter is they are all knock off Grubee engines and all the real changes over the years have all come from Don not any of the other vendors as they would have you believe, I've talked with Don and he told me all about all of this and back in late 2016 showed me the blue print or mechanical drawings and copy right of the triple 40 setup, when we were discussing the 40mm stroke 17mm mains (6203 bearing) cranks that he'd been using since 05-06 but anyway it's funny how twisted the stories of these companies are and sad that the Chinese screwed Don over so bad.

if you ever get to see a Starfire engine the castings the machining and everything puts all the current ones to shame, when Zeda's castings were really nice at first (not so much now) they came from Don's out sourced foundry when he did the Starfire line.
CDH use's Don's first foundry as did Power King/Runwell and quite a few others back in the early/mid 2000's.

Man I have to keep relaying this info every few years, LOL

So here's the real deal on these bicycle engines, Don Grubee was in China in 2000 for work and saw what the Chinese were doing with their copy of the Latvian bicycle engine, bought one from a street vendor and brought it back to the states later that year, he put it on an old columbia cruiser and was offered $500 for it on it's first ride. The idea was born! He returned, found a foundry to do the castings and began to source the rest of the part's and made some changes again.

Now Don is old a bit picky and paying good money so he want's what he want's no BS, when casting runs went bad and he rejected them, instead of being destroyed and or recycled they mysteriously got sold off to Chinese companies to do with what they do which is copy everything.

This led to Don having to change foundries and still to this day countless law suits being filled against Zeda CDH and others all due really to a bad contract not having the bad casting dealt with properly, but now the damage is done and the original foundry was still pumping out casting as they found buyers for them which created the knock off market the Chinese are famous for.

So real truth of the matter is they are all knock off Grubee engines and all the real changes over the years have all come from Don not any of the other vendors as they would have you believe, I've talked with Don and he told me all about all of this and back in late 2016 showed me the blue print or mechanical drawings and copy right of the triple 40 setup, when we were discussing the 40mm stroke 17mm mains (6203 bearing) cranks that he'd been using since 05-06 but anyway it's funny how twisted the stories of these companies are and sad that the Chinese screwed Don over so bad.

if you ever get to see a Starfire engine the castings the machining and everything puts all the current ones to shame, when Zeda's castings were really nice at first (not so much now) they came from Don's out sourced foundry when he did the Starfire line.
CDH use's Don's first foundry as did Power King/Runwell and quite a few others back in the early/mid 2000's.
That's a good piece of info, I have talked with Don on the rear wheel I purchased from them. I didnt realize that he got screwed like that, or that he was in part in designing these engines. I've always wanted a starfire engine, but they've been out of stock forever. He referred me to Ken Hinson & to check his work out. @Street Ryderz if you was to buy a off the self CG engine or recommend one, who's company would you purchase.

It was the green logo that got me, and the service with a smile that keeps me. I've had UPS totally smash a jug or a head, etc , and CDH just asked for a few pics, last time they sent me a new head, some decals and gave me half my money back. Which I promptly spent with them. lol. BGF is good too, another vendor I use. For my bikes though, CDH. Oh and Bicycle Motor Works is good too. They have the seal I need when I build. So I pick up some stuff while shopping with them too. I spend way to much on this hobby. It's become a lifestyle. lol. I have CG parts and engines laying all over the shop, tucked away in cabinets, cupboards, boxes.............. lol
The crappy part for me is 90% of the online stores are us based which makes the items more money and the shipping insane. So you think its expensive for you? Lol try living in canada

That's a good piece of info, I have talked with Don on the rear wheel I purchased from them. I didnt realize that he got screwed like that, or that he was in part in designing these engines. I've always wanted a starfire engine, but they've been out of stock forever. He referred me to Ken Hinson & to check his work out. @Street Ryderz if you was to buy a off the self CG engine or recommend one, who's company would you purchase.
I have worked with them all over the years now and my preference is still Grubee their quality is as good or better, they all seem to have bad casting runs these days.

The Starfire engines were amazing, I wish you could buy one now but they haven't been made since 2010-11, I have a couple of those, one 50cc (true 50cc) and a 70cc but the case for the 70cc is broken and I need new case halfs for it and the 50cc my son uses (it's fast LOL).

Ken is a good engine builder I know him well, he does alot of saw engines and I'm not really a fan of all that work for such little difference to me, but yeah he's a good guy never heard anyone complain about him!

As you know I do my own work and have seen alot of other guy's work and people tend to get defensive or argumentive when I tell them why what they are doing isn't going to work the way they think LOL, especially the younger guy's Ryan Darrough and Ethan Smolick used to get so mad and go off on me a few years back now and in the end they are now doing exactly what I said they would have to all along.

They used to tell me that I was against change/innovation when I was pointing out that the cost of having to do everything needed to do a Minarelli was not worth it to ME! I go plenty fast and my engines cost me maybe $300 and my time my whole bike is only like $600 not 1k for an engine and over 2k for a bike, I'd buy another motorcycle for that LOL, but Ryan want's to see you guy's spending over $2k building a motorized bicycle and well to me that's just nut's!

I have worked with them all over the years now and my preference is still Grubee their quality is as good or better, they all seem to have bad casting runs these days.
The Starfire engines were amazing, I wish you could buy one now but they haven't been made since 2010-11, I have a couple of those, one 50cc (true 50cc) and a 70cc but the case for the 70cc is broken and I need new case halfs for it and the 50cc my son uses (it's fast LOL).
Ken is a good engine builder I know him well, he does alot of saw engines and I'm not really a fan of all that work for such little difference to me, but yeah he's a good guy never heard anyone complain about him!
As you know I do my own work and have seen alot of other guy's work and people tend to get defensive or argumentive when I tell they why what they are doing isn't going to work the way they think LOL, especially the younger guy's Ryan Darrough and Ethan Smolick used to get so mad and go off on me a few years back now and in the end they are now doing exactly what I said they would have to all a long, they used to tell me that I was against change/innovation when I was pointing out that the cost of having to do everything needed to do a Minarelli was not worth it to ME! I go plenty fast and my engines cost me maybe $300 and my time my whole bike is only like $600 not 1k for an engine and over 2k for a bike, I'd buy another motorcycle for that LOL, but Ryan want's to see you guy's spending over $2k building a motorized bicycle and well to me that's just nut's!
Well dont worry bout me getting defensive, I'm here to learn & I have already gained a wealth of info from you & I'm continuing to do so, day by day. I never really saw any potential in these little CG engines till I joined the forum. Lol & if I mess up & you catch it, I dont mind you setting me straight. It's the best way to learn. Sometimes you learn at the expense of your wallet especially If you are just getting into something you have never dealt with. Thanks StreetRyderz 👍

Vancouver
Ok I'm in Ont (Hamilton) but these kits are banned here now so finding anything in Canada is going to be Grubee or Zeda or no name, Stan brooks is the Canadian Zeda dist @ Mobetta Bikes not sure what he has left but you could see, then the Canadain dist for Grubee is https://www.motorizedbicycle.ca/ but once their stock is gone that's it, everything will have to come from the states and in the form of parts as no complete kits are aloud through customs.

There are great places in the states to order from though and very cheap, what I do is buy stuff in larger orders to get the free or cheaper per item shipping and stock up on stuff you will always need, I buy the super charged cdi 5 at a time and some air filters gasket sets stuff like that from Gasbike, MZ Miami, as well as the local dist (Grubee) that helps to keep it reasonable but doesn't help with the exchange or duty/taxes we get screwed there LOL.

Ok I'm in Ont (Hamilton) but these kits are banned here now so finding anything in Canada is going to be Grubee or Zeda or no name, Stan brooks is the Canadian Zeda dist @ Mobetta Bikes not sure what he has left but you could see, then the Canadain dist for Grubee is https://www.motorizedbicycle.ca/ but once their stock is gone that's it every thing will have to come from the states and in the form of parts as no complete kits are aloud through customs.
There are great places in the states to order from though and very cheap, what I do is buy stuff in larger orders to get the free or cheaper per item shipping and stock up on stuff you will always need, I buy the super charged cdi 5 at a time and some air filters gasket sets stuff like that from Gasbike, MZ Miami, as well as the local dist (Grubee) that helps to keep it reasonable but doesn't help with the exchange or duty/taxes we get screwed there LOL.
I just use amazon. Ik all the websites. Not much for me in vancouver without over paying lol

Back