Noise in engine.

adrian101

Local time
3:02 AM
Okay so i purchased a brand new 66cc engine from a highly recommended eBay seller. I took the cylinder head off and replace it with the billet head. today was the first day i started the engine. I went around the block like 5 times. (10 minutes max) at a speed of 20km/h like run in is recommended. I keep hearing a clunking noise in the engine, I took the head off again to check if the piston is hitting the head but its not, nor is the spark plug hitting the piston. It doesn't clunk often, just every now and then.

I can't isolate the noise 100% so i'm wondering does anyone know where i should search for the clunk noise.

I'm guessing i should check everything over thou if anyone has had a problem like this and know where i should start searching it would help alot.

Thanks.

?? Just go easy!

These little engines make some strange noises when breaking in so check the obvious. Uno, just make sure to keep eye on your burn! (Plug Chop)..........You want nice chocolate color.

Last edited:
it may be too much compression, and what you may be hearing is the bearings on the connecting rod getting ready to disintegrate.

well today i went for another ride to try isolate the problem, I was going around 21km/h when the engine locked up (caused by the chain coming off the wheel). The whole wheel is completely rat sh#t now. Its bent, I have not one bearing left in the wheel. the hub is massive due to the internals being crushed.

So i'm guessing the cracking was the chain slipping on and off?

Can a lock up caused by wheel lock up do damage to my engine?

When 1st testing mine - I noticed if the chain was not oiled it would not move properly - like sorta locking... chain has to be well oiled so it will move on the sprockets - if a link is cocked it will make a clicking noise .... I have a spray paint can "cap" filled with oil - dip my cloth covered finger in and wipe it on the chain before taking off... just part of my all points check before heading out...

Back