Noise-noise-noise

K

kerf

My original engine on this bike was a Mitsubishi TLE 43, very good engine with adequate power and super quite. Of course, as with most members of this forum, adequate just isn't good enough. When I was considering the CY R460, which has twice the power of the TLE43, I was warned that the power came at a price, headache level NOISE. This warning was well founded because it's basically a chain saw engine and sounds like one. I believed I could bring the DB level down to a manageable level and after several trial and error secessions I'm finally happy. At cruise, it's almost as quite as the Mits, although somewhat louder when you get down on the throttle but I can live with that. My secondary muffler is made from 1" copper tubing for the outer jacket with a full length ½" copper straight through baffle tube. The muffler is 11" long with 8" of the baffle tube bored with 48 - 3/16" holes to form a double helix pattern around the tube. The space between the outer jacket and the baffle tube is packed with fiber glass and the muffler can be repacked. I connected the secondary muffler to the primary with silicone tubing and so far it's working great.

DDM was my supplier for the engine and the silicone exhaust tubing. They also have secondary mufflers that may work as well or better than mine at a reasonable price. Maybe it's just getting old, but for me, a quite ride beats a loud ride. In the end I'll take either one.

Attachments

• IMG_Muff.JPG
    IMG_Muff.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 793
Last edited by a moderator:
Your "Quiet" ride.

Glad to hear you have a "quiet" ride now. I may duplicate your success.

Darcy

Maybe it's just getting old, but for me, a quite ride beats a loud ride. In the end I'll take either one.[/QUOTE]

great xhaust

very clean and well put together!:Ddid this motor come with an expansion chamber?ive got about 400 miles on my silicon tubing,and its not gonna melt,ever.i ran wot for 20 minutes,and nothing has changed.great build.did you put oil in yer staton box yet?im gonna do that next mnth.

The engine came with a muffler with an outlet on the back. I ordered another one with a bottom outlet to facilitate the secondary muffler. No oil in the box yet but I've been wondering about that. The moly grease Staton supplies works OK but I noticed that it had been thrown off the input gear, looked pretty dry when I swapped the engines. I added more grease but these engines turn high RPM and I doubt the lube will stay in place.

Do you know anyone thats tried oil? I think it may seep past the shaft and inner bearing race and leak into the clutch but I don't know.

bearing race

well i also put extra grease on the gears,but i noticed that oil will seep through in more than 1 place on the boxes.i was gonna put some straight 70 weight in but didnt want oil everywhere,i guess i will look farther next mnth.i got to excited to ride and couldnt wait but,i got a backup now so it will be easier.:cool:i havent talked to no one who has oil in the gear box yet?im thinkin you could run those gears dry for years at low rpm as there designed.

Attachments

• bikes001.jpg
    bikes001.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 556
  • bikes008.jpg
    bikes008.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 534
Thanks Much!

1000 degrees is the highest I have noted. Will investigate.

May just construct a pipe made of copper like yours, though I only have a T-3300. Very slick job, I must say. You did it the way I thought I might, with the baffles etc.

I may go with PVC first, to see if it really will reduce the engine noise from intake etc. If it works, will make a shorty like yours. Good job...and thanks again!

Keep Us Posted, Please.

There are a few of us fooling around with silencers, so maybe one will hit "paydirt."

I bought some silicone tube from Dave's per Kerf's suggestion.

Next will be putting the PVC together, not unlike what Kerf did.

Will see....?

Back