Noisy stock muffler

Blamb

Local time
2:35 PM
New question. I have a extremely loud noise at mid engine rev with excessive vibration until i get to 20 plus mph and everything smooths out. I think its the baffles in the muffler maybe? I have three bikes and this is the only one where the mufflers comes loose. I assume thats related or even caused by the vibrations. Its a zeda 80 and all stock on a 18speed mountain bike. It has more power than the other two as well if that helps. I have gasket maker on both sides of the muffler gasket thinking that would help but didnt. Its possible i have made the exhaust path smaller with the gasket maker. I wont be able to work on the bike for a few days or I would just change out parts until the noise went away. Hoping i can save some time. Thank you.

New question. I have a extremely loud noise at mid engine rev with excessive vibration until i get to 20 plus mph and everything smooths out. I think its the baffles in the muffler maybe? I have three bikes and this is the only one where the mufflers comes loose. I assume thats related or even caused by the vibrations. Its a zeda 80 and all stock on a 18speed mountain bike. It has more power than the other two as well if that helps. I have gasket maker on both sides of the muffler gasket thinking that would help but didnt. Its possible i have made the exhaust path smaller with the gasket maker. I wont be able to work on the bike for a few days or I would just change out parts until the noise went away. Hoping i can save some time. Thank you.
get the black exhaust gaskets with the round hole ( like 6 bucks for 20 of 'em, or go to the autostore and buy a sheet of exhaust gasket maker paper) and make some studs( better to strip a stud than a case thread, easier to fix and cheaper, plus a stud holds better than a tiny screw) from m6 all thread rod from the hardware store. also sand or grind your flanges on the pipe flat. use m6 coupler nuts for more holding power and a slight cooling effect of the flange.

I have gasket maker on both sides of the muffler gasket thinking that would help but didnt. Its possible i have made the exhaust path smaller with the gasket maker.

Get rid of the stock exhaust gasket that came with the engine kit, (they're garbage), and clean off any other "goop" that you may have tried along with it.

Use this Toyota Highlander O2 sensor gasket instead, available at Toyota dealership or also at autoparts stores such as Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, etc.

Here is the current Toyota dealer parts#/stock#, for that gasket...89466-20020-83.

If you shop Autozone, etc., its a "Dorman" brand part number ...Dorman 47021

When installing this gasket, you will need to slightly elongate the holes that go over the studs/bolts...I use a slightly larger bolt to do this through those holes.

You will notice that this gasket has some metal affixed to both sides of the gasket...The side that has the most metal is what goes against the exhaust pipe itself...DO NOT use any gasket sealers with this gasket....DAMIEN

EDIT...Also use some "split ring" lockwashers on the exhaust studs/bolts when reattaching it...It will stop them from loosening up on you....This is how i put my Zeda 80s together myself and never have a problem with exhaust systems.

excessive vibration
Mounting hardware? I made the mistake of buying rubber mounts that were supposed to reduce vibration. Instead, the engine vibrated like crazy. I have learned that hard mounting to the frame works better. I do use 1/16 inch neoprene under my clamps, but the engine is rigidly mounted.

Thank you for the advice. I switched exhaust with another bike. I had a defective exhaust or something went wrong inside. Not sure but this is my excuse to try one thats not stock.

Back