Non-bicycle projects

Will'smotobikes19

I know an old truck in the woods that has a flathead straight 6 in it. Dodge brothers. It would be cool tearing it apart and rebuilding.

The_Aleman

Straight 6s, nuff said!
Oh as much as I love the LS(x), I do love me some straight 6s. Ford 300, Mopar Slant Six, GM Atlas (4200), BMW M88, M20, and M30. The one I really want to play with is the Aussie Ford Barra engine tho. I think one of those would be nice in my '63 F100 Unibody.

I was a Chevy small-block hater until 1997. Always felt the 350 was an overrated piece of junk that lived way too long in newer trucks past it's original engineering design. Sure it was a decent all-around engine really, but it had a terrible rod angle (even worse if you turn one into a 383) and it liked to beat the hell out of it's main bearings. Terrible fuel mileage. Don't get me started on the old 305. I've had several SBC over the years, and while they were reliable af, they were also craptastic.

Then the C5 Corvette came out with that glorious new 346ci LS1. That sound, that effortless powerband, that low-end tractability, and LS1 Vettes can exceed 30MPG with a light foot. All of a sudden, GM didn't look so archaic anymore. Sure, there's people who say "pushrods are old tech" but most don't know that OHC is an older design than pushrod. Pushrod engines have a packaging and weight advantage, also tend to make more average torque.

It's all old tech now and it's still glorious.
Oh man I'm happy you have that opinion also because the gen 1&2 sbc are garbage honestly. Even with the "amazing" 4bolt mains block you can still junk the motor at f***ing 400hp. They don't make power stock. The factory stock components don't hold up too 1000hp at all. Oiling system is junk. Head design is laughable even the best gen1&2 heads you can get don't flow as well as ls heads. It's all just a giant boat anchor.

The_Aleman

You don't like the Mopar hemi 6? You Aussies are the ones who made that thing cook!

That said, maybe it's just been done to death out there so you're sick of seeing it LOL

Frogslayer

Gen 2 do you mean the L31 vortec heads? If so those flow stock to 500hp. Had a 99 Tahoe with a 5.7 and put headers and cold air intake on it. Left the dual cats but put dual flow master 40 series on with short exit exhaust. Sounded good and wasn't loud when you weren't getting on it. After market distributer and summit racing high voltage coil. Got 21mpg average no sh*t. Pulled one snowmobile in a trailer to the U.P and back, 8 hours each way temp was never above 5 degrees F and still got 19mpg. That rig could jump a ditch, engage 4wd on the roll up to 60mph, jump back on the road, click it in 2wd and let go of the wheel and still drive straight. Had super offset 33 inch tires on it. Sadly a drunk driver hit it one night parked on the street in front of my house. Now i have an 02 Tahoe with the 5.3 and it runs well stock. Nothing like the beast of a rig the other truck was.

The_Aleman

If you do the same mods to a Vortec 5.3 it would crap all over your (very late) Vortec 5.7 :LOL:
The Vortec 5.3 is a 300+HP LS-based engine, no Vortec 5.7 ever came close from the factory!
That said, there are people putting LS-style heads on older sbc and making pretty decent power tho.
Old sbc is a workhorse, it's just outclassed now, like Mopar 318/360s.

Frogslayer

The 5.3 is a better engine that's for sure, it's the rest of the truck that is not built as tough. Had a Silverado with a 5.3 as well and almost 300k but would still smoke the tires lol. Frame rusted in half and the box almost fell off. Transmission and fuel system and engine live on in another rig. The transmission was rebuilt.