non-ethanol gas at a Citgo

Maybe someone in the fuel industry can answer this for me, I've heard that the higher octane fuels have more alcohol than 87 octane. I was told alcohol is a cheap octane booster.

Maybe someone in the fuel industry can answer this for me, I've heard that the higher octane fuels have more alcohol than 87 octane. I was told alcohol is a cheap octane booster.
Gasoline has octane of 93 or 94, around here its 91 or 92, 100% ethanol has octane level of 100. When mixed with gas it's 112.

I will just throw in my experience with non ethanol fuel. Living on the coast and having a docked boat, NE fuel is all I will
run in anything but my car. All my two and four stroke small engines use it. Its very stable and has about four times the
shelf life. Things just run better, and start easier. Ethanol is hydroscopic, it pulls moisture from the air. Very bad around
boats, especially those with a vented tank. If you live in a humid area, leave a jar full of Egas out over a day, you will
see it turn cloudy as it pulls in the moisture. When it first came out it killed the diaphragms in most of the small engines
using it. Nasty stuff, I hate it.

I will just throw in my experience with non ethanol fuel. Living on the coast and having a docked boat, NE fuel is all I will
run in anything but my car. All my two and four stroke small engines use it. Its very stable and has about four times the
shelf life. Things just run better, and start easier. Ethanol is hydroscopic, it pulls moisture from the air. Very bad around
boats, especially those with a vented tank. If you live in a humid area, leave a jar full of Egas out over a day, you will
see it turn cloudy as it pulls in the moisture. When it first came out it killed the diaphragms in most of the small engines
using it. Nasty stuff, I hate it.
I'm now carrying a spare carburetor with me due to the ethanol gas here in Tennessee. Lots of moisture here.

All Pennsylvania gas sold at the pumps must contain 10% ethanol. I've considered buying a dropping funnel and removing the ethanol myself as it is pretty simple to do. You don't need a dropping funnel to do it but if you have a place to set up for this on your workbench of on a shelf, a glass dropping funnel is the way to go as you will easily be able to see when the water, ethanol and gasoline have separated and you have a faucet on the funnel that you can open and close to remove the water and ethanol and then the gasoline.

There are cheaper ways to do it (plastic soda bottle) but if you have money to throw at it may as well get a nice setup for it. Something like this will cost you $60 or more. You can buy a stand for this or find a combination kit. As I said, you can just use a plastic bottle and a piece of hose or whatever, but if you want a permanent set up which will result in less mess and increased safety you can look for something like this.

1000ml-Pyriform-Dropping-Funnel-straight-tip-out-for-drip-Glass-Stopcock-1L-Pear-Shape-Sep-Funnels.jpg

Ethanol free gas that is available in Pennsylvania, and where to find it...DAMIEN

Was just about to say "thanks, but these are all areas far from me, probably where people have tractors" when boom! There it is. A neighboring town. I could walk there if I wanted. Thanks. I'll contact them and see if this information is up to date.

All Pennsylvania gas sold at the pumps must contain 10% ethanol. I've considered buying a dropping funnel and removing the ethanol myself as it is pretty simple to do. You don't need a dropping funnel to do it but if you have a place to set up for this on your workbench of on a shelf, a glass dropping funnel is the way to go as you will easily be able to see when the water, ethanol and gasoline have separated and you have a faucet on the funnel that you can open and close to remove the water and ethanol and then the gasoline.

There are cheaper ways to do it (plastic soda bottle) but if you have money to throw at it may as well get a nice setup for it. Something like this will cost you $60 or more. You can buy a stand for this or find a combination kit. As I said, you can just use a plastic bottle and a piece of hose or whatever, but if you want a permanent set up which will result in less mess and increased safety you can look for something like this.

1000ml-Pyriform-Dropping-Funnel-straight-tip-out-for-drip-Glass-Stopcock-1L-Pear-Shape-Sep-Funnels.jpg
Add a barb to the lid of a 2L pop bottle and this.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Was just about to say "thanks, but these are all areas far from me, probably where people have tractors" when boom! There it is. A neighboring town. I could walk there if I wanted. Thanks. I'll contact them and see if this information is up to date.
Of course the downside is this stuff costs about $15.00 per gallon. For the price of one gallon I can buy a drop funnel and remove it myself.

Back