Noob from Maine

PHPaul

Local time
8:58 AM
Howdy. I'm a 70 year old retired guy that's always looking for a project. Been riding, repairing and overhauling motorcycles for 50+ years so two wheels and an engine is nothing new to me. I have a pretty complete shop and basic welding and machining skills and equipment.

Thinking a motorized bike would be just the ticket for a Winter project and will have some questions along the way, particularly in regards to the drive train.

The idea just occurred to me after some references on a motorcycle forum I hang out on so I'm strictly in the "looking for parts" phase at the moment. The motor will probably be a Chiwanese kit from an on-line source, but the basic bike will have to come first and will likely be a Yard Sale Special. My initial thinking is a board-tracker style bike.

So first things first: Any suggestions as to what I should look for in a donor bike are welcome.

Hey bud welcome to the forum. If you like tinkering you'll love these kits. You can get them pretty reliable. If you get a cheap ebay kit or something, I suggest upgrading the hardware right away. Those cheap screws strip and are s**t. And loctite is your friend. As for your bike, just make sure there's proper clearance in the frame for the engine. Then pick something you'll enjoy riding. This forum has a lot of knowledgable people, so if you need help along the way just ask. Have fun.

Welcome Paul
A guy at your age with your experience deserves a Vintage Whizzer. But it might be out of your budget since your thinking China Girl
But since ya like BTR Board Track Racers you might like one of these www.sportsmanflyer.com

@Wrench - Wowzers! That's the style I'm interested in but Horry Sheet! I can buy a "real" motorcycle for that kind of cash! I'll probably pirate some of the visuals from them tho.

@Don_Parsons - I think a fatty would be an ideal starting point for my project. Pretty much all paved roads here, but I'm a pretty good-sized feller at 6-ish feet and 205.

General question: Can you use the multi-speed derailleur systems or are motorized bikes direct drive?

EDIT: Perused the appropriate forum and got my answer. A jackshaft system will no doubt be the way to go.

Last edited:
Welcome to the circus, worksman bicycle frames are also a good frame to start of with. A little pricey but high quality. Ideally you'd like something with a steel frame. And yes you can use a jackshaft kit to transfer the power to the right side of the bike and use the bikes original drive train and gears to propel the bike. If you're interested in a jackshaft then sickbikeparts.com is the kit your looking for. Again its a little more money but worth it in the long run.
This is my shifter bike so you can see whats involved.
20200824_083451.jpg
20200824_083411.jpg

^^^ Sweet!

I love to tinker. Always have since I was just a little tyke. Plus by disposition and (until a few years ago) due to financial constraints, I get a great deal of enjoyment out of building stuff out of what I can find laying around or scrounge cheaply. For the most part, I'd sooner spend a week building something than $50 buying it. Especially for a first attempt. Just the way I'm bent.

If it goes well and I get a kick out of riding it (or giving it to one of my grand or great-grandkids) then I'll likely build a second, nicer, more professional version.

Still, keep the suggestions and links coming, I've got a LOT to learn on this subject.

welcome to the forums!
honestly, if your looking for a board track style bike, id get a cruiser bike ( a Schwinn cruiser from the mids 60s to around 2001ish are the best) since those generally have thicker tubing and can handle the vibrations more than some other cruiser bikes of similer style.

now, for engines. im assuming youd like to go budget, which case id suggest buying the cheapest one you can get (thats 80/66cc as theres some 50cc versions as well, but are next to impossible to modify/ get parts for)

if you have the equipment to balance the crank id do that, since 99% of these motors arnt balanced what so ever.

but have fun with it! these motors with the right work and parts can get you close to 50+mph for cheap!

Howdy. I'm a 70 year old retired guy that's always looking for a project. Been riding, repairing and overhauling motorcycles for 50+ years so two wheels and an engine is nothing new to me. I have a pretty complete shop and basic welding and machining skills and equipment.

Thinking a motorized bike would be just the ticket for a Winter project and will have some questions along the way, particularly in regards to the drive train.

The idea just occurred to me after some references on a motorcycle forum I hang out on so I'm strictly in the "looking for parts" phase at the moment. The motor will probably be a Chiwanese kit from an on-line source, but the basic bike will have to come first and will likely be a Yard Sale Special. My initial thinking is a board-tracker style bike.

So first things first: Any suggestions as to what I should look for in a donor bike are welcome.

You can pick up an inexpensive bike that will fit the engine at Target. I bought this for $99.00 bike in the. picture below brand new and it is called the Magna Rip Curl. I peeled the stickers off and it looks like old motorcycle. Good luck in your search. My advice is to match the catch. If you have a chineese engine, get a chineese bike. If you have a Japaneese engine, get a USA bike or a comprable bike found at your local bike store. This way one will not outlast the other, and you will have a bike you will be proud of no matter how much you spend.
China66:80MB.jpg

Back