Noob here, 62 yr old novice

• Thread starter Deleted member 31369
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 31369

Bought a bike from a man here in my area but he does not offer any tips or advice he just builds them and sells them. So I'm looking for simple tips to break in my 60cc 2 stroke bike.
1605222149606.jpg
Done about a tank of gas thus far but I'm having either overheating or stalling and restarting issues.
Any tips for a complete knucklehead who knows nothing at all about these engines? Want to expect, what's normal during break-in period. I had a pedal moped in the early 80s and burned it up because I didn't know what the hell I'm doing and I really don't want to repeat that I would just like a nice reliable little bike to ride to the park and around the neighborhood because I'm too damn young to use a Jazzy!! 😁 Thanks in advance and please keep it simple with your experience and suggestions. Ron

well, welcome to the forum!

ill start with the obvious, you NEEED to add 2 CYCLE OIL to the tank, (id recommend good quality oil, such as Amsoil saber or intercepter linked here for saber and here for intercepted) but any good 2 cycle oil will work, but these are what i have had the best experience with (also Walmart tc-w3 oil as well)

now, id recommend dumping what he put in there, as you have ZERO idea if he mixed it right, what kinda gas etc.

also, here's a good video on basic maintain

for break-in, you can start with 32:1 gas to oil ratio , the "manual" says 16:1 but that ends up with a really sutty exhaust and a smoke train, id skip that unless you are running used car oil ;).

here's a good oil to gas mixing ratio

next keep the throttle light to medium throttle, its really not good to hammer on er too hard too fast when its new, that comes later.

after a tank or 2, let er eat!

you can also tune the carb to get you better performance and gas mileage, as these bikes come from the factory Hawaii shmuck rich.

id also change the sparkplug to an NGK B6HS after the break-in, as those plugs aren't exactly build to last.

good luck! and remember, just like oil mopeds, its gonna need some maintenance time to time.
20200803_081220.jpg

Welcome to MotoredBikes.com Pooh, Mark covered alot of good stuff for ya
I'm gonna suggest getting a Bracket that allows ya to mount the muffler to the bike frame.
The muffler likes to vibrate and wiggle causing the mounting bolts to come loose then the exhaust gasket gets blown.

Sorry I don't have a link for ya to look at the muffler to frame bracket. Maybe @mark20 or another member will help us out and post a link for one.

Bought a bike from a man here in my area but he does not offer any tips or advice he just builds them and sells them. So I'm looking for simple tips to break in my 60cc 2 stroke bike.
View attachment 102013Done about a tank of gas thus far but I'm having either overheating or stalling and restarting issues.
Any tips for a complete knucklehead who knows nothing at all about these engines? Want to expect, what's normal during break-in period. I had a pedal moped in the early 80s and burned it up because I didn't know what the hell I'm doing and I really don't want to repeat that I would just like a nice reliable little bike to ride to the park and around the neighborhood because I'm too damn young to use a Jazzy!! 😁 Thanks in advance and please keep it simple with your experience and suggestions. Ron
Get yourself a one gallon fuel safe container and premix your fuel in that, easier to calculate the ratio. 4 ounce oil to one gallon gas. Don't mix it in the tank.

Seems most basic things have been covered already. If there was no oil in the gas, might want to take the jug off and check the rings, piston and cylinder. Hopefully no bottom end damage occurred with almost a tank of gas ran through already, odds are over 30 minutes of use. Please tell me you added oil to the gas.
Btw, that's a decent starter build. Front and rear brakes, engine positioned correct, usable pedals and lights. Normally I have to point one of those out to new folks. That builder goes cheap but does it right on the build side at least.

Hate to pile on, that chain tensioner is a disaster waiting to happen. It can rotate on the frame and smash into the spokes and ruin your day. You need in my opinion a 2 point attachment to be safe using the bottom and top stays both. Welcome to the forums! Love it that a 62yo can 1st discover our hobby and feel like a kid again when riding. It's a whole different game than riding a m/c. Only stupid ? is one never asked.

Welcome to the forums! Love it that a 62yo can 1st discover our hobby and feel like a kid again when riding. It's a whole different game than riding a m/c. Only stupid ? is one never asked.

Yes this is true most Guys and Gals that ride M/B are not teenagers.
The average age of Guys and Gals who ride Whizzer M/Bs is over 40.
Many over 65 Because they used to have one as a teenager. So they got another one after they became popular again in 1999

Thank you all for your help, got the gas mixture right from the jump Street so I probably just need to come my happy ass down and not dog it to death. someone mentioned a chain tensioner might be a problem, is there a fix simple enough for a novice?
I got to say I'm getting some interesting looks as I ride down the street letting out an occasional Ric Flair Woooo!

Someone mentioned a chain tensioner might be a problem, is there a fix simple enough for a novice?
The mention on the chain tensioner, you have the 4 bolt one (chainlube corrected me, was ass backwards glancing at the pic). There is one of a similar style that uses 2 bolts instead of 4, less secure. Then there is the arch tensioner that has no chance of flopping into your wheels in installed correctly, it attaches to both the chain and seat stays. There is also the option of the spring loaded chain tensioner that replaces your output sprocket cover. Some people do away with a tensioner all together and run high quality pre-stretched chain. I don't think your chain is the issue with your engine. Getting a better tensioner is a good thing still.
Your engine sounds like it has overheating issues. Might be a little too lean of an air/fuel mixture. Can you show us a pic of your spark plug electrode?

Last edited:
Back