Noob looking for advice

mulder

Local time
12:18 PM
Hey guys total noob here. I've been doing my own research for a while but want some other opinions before deciding exactly what engine to go with. I have been looking at the BBR tuning "The beast" 79cc kit, but based on the lurking I have done on these forums kits are not always the best way to go. Can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction?

edit: is it smart to go for a road bike? i found one for sale locally and thought it might be fun to have a lighter more nimble setup but it doesnt seem to be a common choice.

The main reason it's said that "kits aren't always the best way to go" is because one has to be somewhat mechanically adept to ride one of these to begin with, and having such skills often means you can just make your own simply strong mount and jackshaft exactly tailored for the bike. The most important thing is the bike itself, and being that there's tons of different bike frames, a kit's components may not fit the bike properly, and are often mass-produced on the cheap and perhaps re-purposed from a completely different kit.

That kit is a decent deal at $280, because the engine, jackshaft, and clutch alone come out to about $225-250 if bought separately. You could theoretically use an older road bike, preferably the old steel ones, but I think you'll find that having more tire is best. I'm not up to date on good bike deals to be had these days from Target or Walmart, but I'd get a modern bike with disc brakes if possible. V-brakes can work fine too, but these things are really too serious for rim-grabbing brakes when you can easily exceed 30MPH.

MTB with fat street tires and an engine kit make for an extremely quick and nimble machine, and if you're good you can still bunnyhop em!

I built my 2 stroke on a 700c road bike and tho I like it bcs the 7spd and light stiff frame, it is not forgiving of bumps, even with 40mm tires tho I could go tiny bit wider. my 2nd bike I knew I had to do suspension forks for around town and it's a heavy build.
MTB's seem the most affordable comfy way to easily build a motorized bike

side note: skip using a 79cc. either smaller or bigger bcs it's under-powered for it's size and weight imho. 49cc Huasheng is quicker, more revs and lighter, or any Honda or clone (GX50 anyone?? lol). the smallest 4 strokes 38-43cc are really reliable but cost more

Hey guys total noob here. I've been doing my own research for a while but want some other opinions before deciding exactly what engine to go with. I have been looking at the BBR tuning "The beast" 79cc kit, but based on the lurking I have done on these forums kits are not always the best way to go. Can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction?

edit: is it smart to go for a road bike? i found one for sale locally and thought it might be fun to have a lighter more nimble setup but it doesnt seem to be a common choice.
personally, i would go with a smaller engine,
the 79cc is nice, but i would not reccomend it as a first time build, unless you are lvl 30 michanic ;)
but it depends on the bike, i would get the biggest bike that fits you (so the engine has clearence, for me a XXL or jumbo size is perfect)
but for cost sake and less headaches i would get a CG kit (those 80/66cc ebay kits, that are like 90$)

if your really set on getting it, prepare to midify the 79cc engine to get the rpms (govener removal, valve springs, timing etc.)
to match the cheaper 49cc kits, there better and will fit in more frames. (if your the type of guy who likes to criuse, and hates 2 stroke)
heres the 49cc engine kit (i reccomend this one as it has a belt drive, vs the chain drive)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/49CC-4-Stroke-GAS-PETROL-MOTORIZED-BIKE-BICYCLE-ENGINE-MOTOR-KIT-Scooter/272386292185?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20180816085401&meid=0319486ab3eb49ed9823dc26fda88c17&pid=100970&rk=1&rkt=15&mehot=ag&sd=272386292185&itm=272386292185&_trksid=p2481888.c100970.m5481&_trkparms=pageci:141ff2a9-5649-11e9-8733-74dbd1807c67|parentrq:e4bc6e691690aa64b4eecb0affdd829c|iid:1

BUT all kits require you to be somewhat mechanically inclined (ie, mix gas for 2 strokes, and change the oil on 4 strokes)
you should be fine, all of us on this forum are happy to help you if you get stuck!

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
side note: skip using a 79cc. either smaller or bigger bcs it's under-powered for it's size and weight imho. 49cc Huasheng is quicker, more revs and lighter, or any Honda or clone (GX50 anyone?? lol). the smallest 4 strokes 38-43cc are really reliable but cost more

He's right, unless you de govern it and do other stuff it is really sluggish (the bike in my pic). The 49 4 stroke is a much better option and it can do 37-38 stock. I want to try one someday. Also a legal engine size, you can always go bigger but then it's even more illegal if u get caught and don't lie because the actual engine size is easy to tell over 49cc. The 79cc harbor freight motor can only rev to 3,600 rpm like a lawnmower. If you take care of the 49cc motor it can get 10's of thousands of miles but only if you change the oil and check valve clearances. They will last longer than the 2 smoke unbranded motors for sure and also not require the top end rebuilds for several reasons but I won't debate this stuff or people might get mad lol. They are smaller and easier to work on and not as wide.

Last edited:
I agree, road bikes are not usually a good choice because the tires will wear out extremely fast and are usually very thin. The wider the tire the better it will be and the more traction you will have. Go with a cruiser or mountain bike.

He's right, unless you de govern it and do other stuff it is really sluggish (the bike in my pic). The 49 4 stroke is a much better option and it can do 37-38 stock. I want to try one someday. Also a legal engine size, you can always go bigger but then it's even more illegal if u get caught and don't lie because the actual engine size is easy to tell over 49cc. The 79cc harbor freight motor can only rev to 3,600 rpm like a lawnmower. If you take care of the 49cc motor it can get 10's of thousands of miles but only if you change the oil and check valve clearances. They will last longer than the 2 smoke unbranded motors for sure and also not require the top end rebuilds for several reasons but I won't debate this stuff or people might get mad lol. They are smaller and easier to work on and not as wide.
Will, Grubee site will have the HS 144f 53cc in stock soon. Better than the 142f 49cc. Only problem is the 53cc is very difficult to get internal parts for it. No rev limiter on the 53cc's either.

I'll believe the no rev limiter when I see it. Anyone that buys the new stock should post pics of the flywheel's timing key location. That will show if it can freely rev above 9k rpm.

the little 4s don't have them afaik. yes you can kill one going WOT mercilessly

Back