Noob Question: Quality Motorbike Parts

Joaquin Suave

Local time
4:28 PM
The Central Coast of Alta & Baja California
Sorry for so many questions guys...

I'm in the process of putting together my first motorized bike and will be using a Honda GXH50. The Mt. bike I've gotten has nice components on it and want to make it "top-shelf" ride, but it seems that most of the running gear out there is kinda...CHEEZY.

Are there people making higher end stuff??

Gosh, I'm looking for...

* Jack shafts that have mounting systems that take different aluminum chainrings and possibly a freewheel.

* wide bottom brackets so that aluminum crank arms can clear a frame mounted 4 cycle engine.

* throttles & clutch levers.

*Offset chainrings so that wide cranks can still have the correct clainline.

I have been hunting and have found that most of the hardware seems to be junk. It kind of blows my mind when i see someone that has built a "killer" chopper frame, then outfits the bike with chinki cr*p.

Are the manufactures doing trick stuff out there but i haven't found them???

Not everyone is trying to put together these b*tch'n rigs "on the cheap" are they?

Sick Bike Parts has a nice throttle setup. I just installed mine the other day. It's all metal, no plastic ****. As for the clutch lever, I used a break lever off an extra bike I had in the basement. It doesn't have a pin where ya can lock it into place, but you can always stick something inside it to lock it. I really don't use the lock that much, so it's not an issue with me.
MiniBike parts is also a good resource to search. I have a 2 stroke engine, so not sure about some of the other stuff your looking for.
Good luck :)

Old, cut-down brake levers work better as a thumb throttle than the twist-grip throttles that come with the kits. ;)

I think it's far safer, as well, because it doesn't pull your fingers away from the brakes!

if you want a better clutch lever that locks, look on eBay for brake levers with a parking brake lock. They make them for scooters, motorcycles, ATVs... I have one that was off a 1970's Yamaha motorcycle. Sure it's a "brake lever", but the cable fits in just the same way. I also found one that has a brake light switch built into it-- it means that my brake light will go on when I clutch, but chances are if I am pulling the clutch, I am doing it to slow down. Nothing wrong with the brake light coming on for that!

you will find something like this:
Locking clutch/brake lever on eBay

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Off the wall

Man, its Sat. and mon.(work) is too close. why do we need to sleep, what a waste of valuable time. I look forward to Retiring.

Back