not getting much travel with 1/4 turn throttle

JerboaJohn

Local time
7:23 AM
I have a SHA clone/HP carb (15mm?) and one of those cheaper CNC throttles with the bearing guide. Though the slide opens fully, at the grip it barely turns 45 degrees. is there a way to increase how much twist to WOT? I want finer control of the throttle. maybe I should just get a bigger carb?

one can make a linkage to change amount of pull per inch, but most folks just wait until they get used to dealing with a shorter pull

thanks, probably just get used to. I don't want to put much effort into engineering a linkage on the 2 stroke bike when I'm trying to focus on a 4 stroke build

A 1/4 turn throttle is only supposed to give a 45° turn. Get a different throttle if you want more twist.

wouldn't 1/4 turn be 90 degrees? maybe from 12 o'clock to 9 o'clock

I have a 1/4 turn throttle too, and like you, at first I thought I wasn't going to like it, but I got over it really quick, and wouldn't go back now.
It's really nice for blipping the throttle, doesn't tire your wrist out from too much twist, and is really fun with a shifter bike for equalizing thr revs on down-shift.

Most people like the quarter/quick turn throttles for less wrist fatigue and perceived acceleration benefits(not actually any faster of course, just the equivelant of more throttle at the same position).

When I was a little dirt bike hooligan we would krazy glue zipties to the throttle gear under the cable to make the diameter bigger, which after readjusting the cable had a similar effect :D. A lot of sketchy mods get done when you're a teen lol.

I can see why some ppl have a hand lever throttle. if the cable guide wasn't so thin one could dremel the base circle smaller.

Back