Not ridden in a week, now won't start

KB_UK

Local time
6:28 AM
Strange one this. A little over a week ago I was riding and my light dynamo came off. I thought oh well, I'll park it up and fix it when I have time. Bike was running like a champ otherwise.

Fast forward to today. I go out, turn the fuel on, go pedalling down the street, let the clutch out and nothing happened. Carried on pedaling across town like this and never once got the engine to start running.

I've checked and spark is good, I have fuel. I haven't messed with the fuel/air mixture or anything like that. It's 5° C outside. Nothing is different to normal.

Confused.

I took the spark plug out, held it on a head bolt while I pushed it down the street, and it sparked. So yeah I absolutely have spark. No question about it.

choke working properly? did you take out sparkplug and pedal around with clutch out to make sure not flooded? also try taking off the exhaust and blow through it see if its jammed.

Yeah I know the unflooding routine. Nothing came out of the exhaust or spark plug hole when I did that. And the choke is fine.

I've got a new problem now; when I was fettling with it the fuel line came off. It's now split when I tried shoving it back on.

What's a good replacement? Never had to buy anything like this before.

Last edited:
Over on this side of the pond True Value Hardware sells a good quality 3/16" fuel line. Don't know what you guys got comparable over there.

Any tool hire place , motorbike shop , diy/hardware store they may not have specific petrol hose but the hose for gas barbecues etc will do

I just went and ordered a metre of 5mm fuel hose off ebay, since I can't be bothered walking all the way to HSS or wherever. I figured a metre gives me enough to move the petrol tank off the top tube of the frame and put it in my Extended Cargo Hold (milk crate). Stop me kicking the damn thing every time I get on.

EDIT: I decided that what the hell, I'd go out and check spark while pedaling it around to double check for a flood. The spark that was there this morning is now gone.

If I had to guess my CDI was half dead, strong enough to spark outside but not when fitted, and now it's fully dead. I don't know. I'm going to do the usual tests while waiting for the fuel hose to come.

Last edited:
I just went and ordered a metre of 5mm fuel hose off ebay, since I can't be bothered walking all the way to HSS or wherever. I figured a metre gives me enough to move the petrol tank off the top tube of the frame and put it in my Extended Cargo Hold (milk crate). Stop me kicking the damn thing every time I get on.

EDIT: I decided that what the hell, I'd go out and check spark while pedaling it around to double check for a flood. The spark that was there this morning is now gone.

If I had to guess my CDI was half dead, strong enough to spark outside but not when fitted, and now it's fully dead. I don't know. I'm going to do the usual tests while waiting for the fuel hose to come.
Cold nights = condensation
Do you have a weep hole for condensation in the bottom of the mag housing (that you probably sealed to prevent rainwater ingress)?

Back