Engine Trouble Not Running Possibly related to carb and water?

Qui Gon-Jinn

Local time
2:36 PM
Going to start off and say I am new, Not a mechanic but a computer guy. I work on websites, servers, general tech. I have enough mechanical knowledge to get around and have lurked the forums for a bit. Bought a bike on Craigslist 6 weeks or so ago and have learned many things in the process.

So far: Replaced Throttle assembly after it got broke when bike was knocked down, Rebuilt Exhaust Bracket twice, replaced all fuel lines and filter, figured out issue related to poor acceleration was bad connection on plug wire to CDI Box.

I work 3rd shift, it is 6 miles in the Phoenix weather each way to the office. Sunday night we got rain.. Monday morning I left work and rode home. Got almost home when bike died would not start. Pushed it the 1/4 mile.

Let it sit all day, slept and now it will not start.

I don't have much detail on the parts on the bike again as it was a craigslist deal.

I was told it is a 66cc motor. Looks to be the standard "China" motor I see posted elsewhere.

The Carb is "New Style 66cc NT"

Here is the Carb picture I grabbed of the net:

New_Style_66cc_N_4eb71b0fb169f.jpg

So I have had very little time to look at this but I suspect the issue may be water related.

Looking for troubleshooting steps, tips, tricks ect.

Is there a way to start the engine when I am NOT riding it? Such as pulling the chain and using a drill or similar to turn the shaft?

I will provide as much details as I can and should have pics if needed in about 6-8 hours when I am home.

Thanks in advance.

rotate crank to 3-9 oclock, lift rear wheel and push on pedal? fully sik kickstart :)

undo screw at bottom of carb, with lil red fibre washer. if water comes out, problem solved.

otherwise, pop the thing.... if you can replace a harddrive, stripping the carb is easy. make sure the jet is clear, everything else is clean, reinstall.

check for spark, use a decent ngk plug, change the spark boot, once again...ngk. they get wet and tend to short on the ceramic.

ignore every following post that says "upgrade your carb" ;) about as useful as 6gb ram on a 486...

I would suggest water in the magneto area (if it was hard rain). Not seeing how a ton of water could have got in your fuel.

Dry electricals out well with hair dryer/blower, maybe some automotive ignition dry spray.

Some good things to start with..

Yes hard rain to say the least.. Flooding in Phoenix. and I went about 5.75 miles in it.

Today was a short day for me, 12 hours from off work to back at work. Had to get some sleep in there. Would be amazed at how having a pacemaker in your chest at 36 tends to reduce your stamina.

Got the next 3 days off.

Have a hard drive to replace in a laptop.. but bike is first order. Plugs I am sure I can grab at O'Rileys. Will check the electrical as well.

Thanks guys.

B6 or 7Hs

dont stress over the plug boot too much, a lug or terminal end will do. just dont touch when running :giggle:

I have had a pacemaker fire the Defibrillator in my chest 4 times.

I suspect the spark off that would just about do the same thing.

the blue wire on the mag coil should have 320 to 360 ohms to ground - after getting wet, yours probably does not have that

Made a call to a local builder who I got the Throttle assembly from. His suggestion pull the cover off the Magneto.. if it's wet it's likely shot. So I did.. and out comes 2-3oz of water. Think I found the issue.

Going to pic one up tonight, swap it and see what I get. Also need to get some solder to re-do the wires.

All a learning process.

*SOLVED*

Got the part late last night.

New Magneto had bullet connectors on it from the factory, Rather than cut those, re-wire it and solder I put bullets on the CDI/Kill switch. Suggestion was also to "Sand the backside of the magneto" a bit.. Dremel with sanding drum.. gave it a quick once over. Got it all in, wired, and quick cruise it ran.

Got back, used the Lucas Chain Lube I picked up and gave the chain a good cover.

Left to do is to secure wires, find or go grab some heat shrink tubing and cover the bullets and clean it all up.

More I work on this bike, the more I find little things to improve on.

Next thing is more of a luxury. Get some ape hangers, and re-run all the cables for the taller handle bars. Being 6'4" and crouching over the bike every ride is getting to the back.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Back