nothing goes right on this dang bike!!!.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pianoman8t8

ok, so i got that new upgraded carb from simpsonmotorbikes, ran great, the fit between the manifold and the carb was pretty loose, so i put some shim in there today, ran better. Now, I've tried e-mailing him, but no reply to where the air adjustment screw should be, because there is one on this new carb. haha, NO IT'S NOT THE IDLE ADJUSTER!!!! muah ha ha.... so anyway... so i rode it around this morning, ran ok, not great like it used to, so anyway, the throttle cable is coming apart, the inside of the rubber tune thingy is coming out, so i had to kinda re-rig it, i still have no clutch cable, my airfilter is broken, has been for about 3 weeks, the rubber boot broke, and again, i tried e-mailing simpsonmotorbikes, ...no reply from them... so anyway, my rear rim has been warped for ... well, since i put on the sprocket, and it's warped so much it sometimes rubs on the drive chain. So, back to the engine, when i start it up when it's been sitting a while (long enough for it to cool down), when i ride it down the street while it's still cool, it runs GREAT! but when it warms up, it runs like sh*t. I don't know why. I've tried adjusting the carb, no improvement. I'm thinking maybe i ought to check the muffler. I haven't taken that apart yet since i've got the engine, and i have roughly 400 miles on it, running a 20:1 gas/oil mixture. It also seems to purge at "high" (as fast as it will go when running sh*tty) speed, and i know a lot of you are thinking GASKETS, must be the gaskets, but nothing is leeking, i've tightened everything, but not too tight. so what do you think? i've lost ALL of my hill climbing power, and pretty much any power i once had. new spark plug is in, also. it's harder to start it.. so again, what do you think?

-pianoman

Maybe you're past the break in. Switch to 32-1 then 36-1 then 40-1 gradually see if you notice any difference in power. I had that.

And if that site doesn't care about emailing you back then screw it, go to someone who does. Thatsdax.com order the parts you need that are compatible.

You post was one long paragraph and I was slightly dizzy by the end of it. Maybe split it to make it easier to read? and you have posted a second topic with the same title and body. What happened, browser messed up while uploading? happens often to me.

Loose the 20/1 and go to 40/1 for starters.
Needle clip is set where?
How full of funk is your exhaust from running that oily mess for so long?
Fix the air filter.
The rim can be straightened with the spokes.
If it runs better when cold SOMETHING is leaking, what kind of "shim" did you use on that fancy new carb?
Is your tank venting properly?
How's the fuel filter looking? What about the screen inside the tank?

What's a rubber tune thingy? That's not in my Tech notebook. :???:

sounds like its running rich to me, I know you said you've been over the carb and I'm not trying to knock you wrench turning skills.

change to a hotter plug to burn off the extra fuel in the cylinder

I agree with locoWelder, running better cold than hot is a classic symptom of running too rich. Adjust the air screw, test ride, adjust as necessary.

I just received my CNS carb today and I plan on putting it on this weekend. Let us know how ya do!

<CnC>

i have tried adjusting the adjuster screw, tho... no luck... in either direction, it gets worse... the happy medium is at a not so good running spot... i have no idea... eventually i'll check the muffler. actually, i'll go check it right now.... while it's nice and cool.

-pianoman

ok, so i went and took the bottom screw off, the one that holds on the end of the muffler. I cannot get the end off, not even with pliers. what if i leave the screw out? will that let some exhaust go through the screw hole? maybe more freely flowing? hmmm.. maybe the pliers i had weren't big enough.. lol, or it's just rusted together.

-pianoman

ok, so i just took it for a ride, was louder, a little bit more take-off now that screw is out, but no improvement otherwise. I think it might be the "seal" between the carb and the manifold, because the manifold/engine mounting place isn't leaking, but i will check everything out tomorrow, pick up some gasket material at VIP, and go-to-town on this bike. the exhaust gasket is shot, oil is leaking out of it at a decent rate.

-pianoman

haha... so i go to run my bike down the street to get it running and spray some carb cleaner around the manifold to see where it was leaking, halfway down the street the chain gets caught in the warped tire a breaks.... again... it happened earlier this morning, the side of the chain link came off, so i just put it back on, hoped that it wouldn't fall off again, and off i went....

-pianoman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back