Novice- What is this?

Holly

Local time
7:08 AM
I'm feeling like a total newb asking, but what is this?

Attachments

• 20160814_131036.jpg
    20160814_131036.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 165
Ah ha! Thank you kindly.

did u get ur chain threaded? i know it is possible to thread without opening up the sprocket panel. you have to of course pull back the clutch and it is possible with a heavy screw driver to eventually get it through. it is very very difficult but possible. i know because i did it the first time not knowing i can open up the panel...

I tried it but so far no luck. I've only been able to get it around half way so far before it catches. I will give it another go. Maybe attach rubber band to the end link to feed through first for leverage? I intend to replace the screws anyway so they've got to come out, but it would be nice to get it running either way!

yeh, maybe i got lucky, try different teeth and both ways. but dont try too much. the problem is that the chain gets loose over the top and gets caught in the little nook in the back, i have no clue why that grove is there in the back but its there...

I've seen that a few have had luck getting it done your way. One way or anther I'll get it running. I can't pretend I'm not impatient though. :)

yeh, maybe i got lucky, try different teeth and both ways. but dont try too much. the problem is that the chain gets loose over the top and gets caught in the little nook in the back, i have no clue why that grove is there in the back but its there...
I got the chain through with a little extra elbow grease. Looking at it, even after I take the extra links off it will still hit the fender. I suppose I could live without the fender until it rains. How much clearance is realistic between the chain and the frame? I still have the gas tank to attach and fill before I could attempt to start it, so not today.

I might just be over working my frontal lobes, my son insists that I have OCD.

nice, nice. you can remove the fender or just cut it (if it isnt too expensive or has any other value). many people have cut the fender. a properly aligned drive chain is worth it over a fender.

Holly, that tool is also used to remove the sprocket (and the motor gear? Can't remember) as well as the clutch.
You use the sparkplug wrench on it. Wonderful multipurpose tools. Not so bad, those Chinese...

It is not OCD, it is just the first install is the hardest. By Friday you'll be an expert at it!

Steve

Back