Now For The Cosmetic Mods!

Hal the Elder

Local time
5:21 PM
HEY!

Well, now I'm finished with all my performance-enhancing mods to Oscar!

Now I've got him "pepped-up" to the performance level of a STOCK Whizzer at sea level, and probably a little more!

Here's what I've done to bring this about:

Opened up the Intake Restrictor. (This gave me the greatest performance gain of all the mods)

Installed a High-Flow muffler insert.

Installed Mushroom Valve Lifters.

Advanced the Cam timing by one tooth.

Had the Head Milled. (Which included a Copper Gasket)

Exchanged the #90 Main Jet for a #82 Main Jet.

Moved the Jet Needle clip from groove #1 to groove #4.

I want to thank all those who helped me with Parts, Machining, and Advice!

(You know who you are!)

Now I'm happy with Oscar's performance, so it's time to give him a more "sporting" look, so he can appear cool and cocky while stroking along our Desert roads.

I've begun this program by installing Riser handlebars, and my next project will be making an upswept exhaust pipe, such as the one on the Montana Whizzer, my all-time favorite!

Here's Oscar with his new Riser Bars. (They're still not the same as on the Montana Whizzer, but they're the closest I could find!)

Cheers...
HAL

Attachments

• IMG_1286.JPG
    IMG_1286.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_1290.JPG
    IMG_1290.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 271
I would start out with a steel stem because that alloy one out in the breeze like that with those bars as leverage looks like an accident waiting to happen.

OK, so where do I get a SHORT steel gooseneck with two clamping bolts?

My alloy stem has a rise of 5-1/2 inches...too high!

I ride on rural desert roads...no traffic! I refuse to ride in traffic! My average riding speed is about 18 MPH up here.

The probability of my encountering any situation which would result in a leverage-induced stem failure is exteremely remote.

I want a shorter goosneck for cosmetic reasons only.

HAL

Last edited:
So Hal,
Which bars did you finally decide on?

I bought the Wald #870 Riser Bars, from Niagara Cycle Works.

Did you see the bars on the famous, legendary Montana Whizzer?

Here's a picture of that bike that I photographed from the screen of my Monitor:

I think these are the most beautiful handlebars ever clamped to a gooseneck!

(I'm also going to do an exhaust upsweep like this Montana Whizzer)

HAL

Attachments

• IMG_1238.JPG
    IMG_1238.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 299
Hal
I think you should be able to lower the goose neck by loosening the Allen screw on the neck. It should drop down pretty far if I remember correctly.

Jim

Last edited:
I tried that, Jim...the gooseneck is bottomed out as shown.

HAL

Attachments

• IMG_1302.jpg
    IMG_1302.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 220
Hal, there are a lot of places you can look for the cosmetic bits to tweak the look to the way you want. I went 50s retro with the look of my Whizzer, adding a springer seat with crashrail, twin round mirrors, Chrome gooseneck, retro pedals, the tool bag on the handlebars as well as one behind the seat, the vintage tank decal, the retro-style turn signals, small red (right side) and green (left side) reflectors (replacing the huge amber ones below the seat) and the two-tone paint. Retro items I was fortunate enough to get with the bike were the whitewall tires, the headlight hood and the chrome fender tips.
I get a lot of my stuff from BikeWorldUSA (www.BikeWorldUSA.com) or Memory Lane Classics (www.memorylane-classics.com). The only problem with Memory Lane is that they have only a fraction of what is in their catalog listed on their website. BTW, the chrome gooseneck was from Memory Lane.

Attachments

• 100_1569-1.jpg
    100_1569-1.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 253
HEY KILROY:

I checked out BikeWorldUSA and Memory Lane, but none of their stems have the secure double clamping bolts. Does your stem have twin bolts? If not, would you say it's secure?

I wonder if I could saw my gooseneck off about 3" and saw the Allen bolt off to match?

Your Whizzer is sure a beauty! I love those fender tips!

It would look like a dream with Riser Bars! (Just my opinion.)

HAL

Last edited:
No Hal, mine just has the single bolt. It's a traditional Schwinn-style forged gooseneck. It's the one listed on MLC's site under bike parts: stems: Chrome Forged Stem.
By the way, I forgot to mention I replaced the original bars with 28" half-moon bars. I'm not a real fan of the risers, I like my handlebars wide (because I am).
Thanks for the kind words about "Thumper"!

Back