NuVinci? Holy grail of motored bikes??

I don't think any current system will come close to the over 90% effeciency on the GEBE's.

That ratio of torque, from the spoke ring to the drive shaft gear, belt driven, using high tech/high compression engines, is the basis of the premium prices on the kits.

Really?

Torques said:
Not even close.... :eek:

Wouldn't the CVT keep the engine (potentially) in the best RPM range at all times thereby increasing fuel economy? I don't mean to question everyone's experiece, I certainly don't have any, but I'm just curious.

Thanks

mpg?

i should fill up my tank 43cents!plus 20 cents oil and get a approx mpg for ya.i just guess by kms i go,i dont worry about fuel consumtion personally because its so little,,ill have to get a speedo electric and figure it out.i think the gebe does have the best kit goin for mpg!just an all around great kit period.id have bought one but kinda hard to hide the rear drive ring.gotta watch yer butt in canada for motored bikes.ill let you know im still breakin in my motor.as for the nuvinci hub motor i did the guy wont stop ridin it i stopped in 2x last week no one there,hes picking up groceries for people and gettin paid.trailer and all.

Re: Really?

turkeyssr said:
Wouldn't the CVT keep the engine (potentially) in the best RPM range at all times thereby increasing fuel economy? I don't mean to question everyone's experiece, I certainly don't have any, but I'm just curious.
Yea but the NuVinci has internal losses in itself.
The question is, would the engine's net benefit be greater than the NuVinci's internal loss?
I'm wondering what happens when the NuVinci is overtorqued. All the other geared hubs (Shimano, Sturmey-Archer and Rohloff) all have clear limits on torque input. In their cases, the gears wear out really fast. And the first couple models of bikes that the NuVinci seems to be available on are all casual-use (light duty!) bicycles.
~

This is my question: How durable and how much torque could one expect from the Nuvinci? I'm seriously considering buying one.

It would vastly superior to any othe drivetrain system even GEBE. In fact I consider all of Staton stuff better than GEBE but thats opinion.

1.Gas mileage would be out of this world if one could control the RPM with a Nuvinci
2. Engine life would be greatly increased by not overrevving at high speeds
3. Hill climbing would be superb
4. One could get the cheaper Robin Subaru VS. a Honda 4 stroke off setting the cost of a Nuvinci hub.
5. That less powerful Robin at 1/3 less power would stress the hub less but do the same duty on bottom and top end.

I want one I just want to know how much abuse can it take from an engine. Who knows the most about Nuvinci here?

I have a NuVinci hub that I have been commuting with for the past two weeks... I'm still breaking-in my Honda GXH50. (I have the Staton kit) A little FYI on the NuVinci hub - the hub itself works very well and seems to be quite durable (so far) - it is heavy though... you cannot "shift" on the fly... you must release the throttle to "up shift/down shift"... the NuVinci hub has three "steps" or gear ranges with a variable range over each step. Will you save fuel with the hub?... not likely (and it's surprisingly heavy too) ... so why would you want it? In a word... flexibility. I can choose to pedal, but I NEVER have to... from a dead start you can "wheelie" if you choose... you can maximize your engine's powerband in just about any situation... I can easily pull a trailer with a load as well... So if your looking for a solution that provides the greatest flexibility in using your bike and not having to pedal (at all, if you so choose)... then it would be a good choice - Hope that helps, Chris :)

The range is continuous really,but since it's a lot easier to shift by first throtling back it feels more like using a multispeed gearbox with low,middle & high gear.My main beef with the Stanton NV setup (apart from cost) is the substantial weight of the combination.But it's certainly very flexible.In relatively flat terain it would definitely be an overkill,the left drive Staton hub would do just as well, if you're able&willing to help out on hills and use the largest engine you can get away with, for more torque.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mountains are our issue here, some very steep, so the Nuvinci may be our saving grace but it is certainly pricey. I guess I could come up with something less expensive like a multi-speed freewheel, in fact I have seen some working on that here in the forum.

Maybe it wouldnt give better mileage but surely you could drop down from a Honda 50 to a 35cc Robin? The range of of gearing it would seem to me would require less horsepower to the same job as a single speed 50?

It would seem the lower HP engine would not have to work so hard to the same job. Lower/higher gearing would reduce the need for more HP.

Is my logic flawed?

Back