NuVinci hub on a Grubee 4-stroke Frame Mount

I

Irish John

I was looking at that NuVinci hub and it seems so amazing that I was wondering if there is any way it could be incorporated onto a left hand drive frame mounted Grubee 4-stroke rig. Can it be made to take the drive sprocket on the left hand side with the pedal chain still on the left? Has anyone got experience with these hubs to know if my wondering has any feasible substance or is it impossible?

You would have to do lots of mods to make something like that work. The NuVinci has to drive from the right side so you would probably need at least a jackshaft to get engine power to the right side of the bike.

You would have to do lots of mods to make something like that work. The NuVinci has to drive from the right side so you would probably need at least a jackshaft to get engine power to the right side of the bike.

Thanks Sir Jakesus. On the NuVinci website they talk about it's potentially limitless applications to things so maybe they might make one sometime specially for motored bikes.

I'm intrigued- My shakedown rides have revealed that with a transmission, this thing would be awesome- the standard setup is fine on the high end (sure speeds over 40 mph would be great- but not necessary)- what I want is to retain the 20-30 mph performance and give it more low end.

There's no reason it couldn't work- in theory- but as mentioned above, the hub would have to be designed to drive from the left or both sides. To tell the truth, I'm not real interested in the crank and engine using the same chain- that's not how they did at the beginning (1900-1920).

The staton setup nuvinci has 2 sprockets on the hub, one for engine one for pedals, both freewheeling.

What are the ratios available internal to the NV hub? I know it's infinitely variable- I mean the lower limit and the upper limit.

What are the ratios available internal to the NV hub? I know it's infinitely variable- I mean the lower limit and the upper limit.

It is infinitely variable as you say HoughMade. the video clip shows you just how it varies. You'd have a twist grip on the clutch handle to vary it. Top speeds would be a bit higher but I think it's really noticeable effect would be on hills which is where we currently lack pulling power.
The previous message (Sorry, I can't see who wrote it) says Staton Nuvinci setup has two chain sprockets on the same side etc but that's on the right side so no good to us frame mounties. We need to get NuVinci to make us a special hub just for MBc members. The NuVinci MBc Jubilee Hub! I reckon it's the greatest invention since the wheel itself.

I'm sure you'll have more luck getting a jackshaft made to bring your engine power to the right side than you will getting a NV hub in left side drive.

I have completed my build of a Cadillac Fleetwood that comes with the Nuvinci hub. I fabricated a jackshaft to bring the power from the Grubee kit to the right side of the hub. I still have some refining to do (play with gear ratio and add front brakes), but the bike and hub work great. Here is a link to some pictures:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/album.php?albumid=275

Updates

Thanks NM, and Irish, this is where I'm headed. Need gears for hills. I'm waiting for newbie Keith's notes on Monarch with Nuvinci jackshaft build.

This is the future of MABs. Keep us posted on what you discover.

Back