CVT Nuvinci/ worthless for hill climbing

SLIPPING is not the issue here, what I am asking for is photos of how to use this thing at its maximum torque, which can't be as much as I need.

speed verses grade by weight?

what exactly do you mean by the highlighted section of the quote???

I dont understand, Why cant you just buy a sick bikes jackshaft, nuvinci hub, and an grubee 80cc motor.... ride it, and be happy???

Got Gears?

Yeah like vtec said.. Be happy -- do it with a GP460 like this one. Honda.. or a Sick Bike Shifter kit. Something like this....It would be the bomb on a trike............

You certainly will have more options & room to haul your food court. These gearboxes are 18.75 to 1 Way more than you need for wall climbing. Combined with the NuVinci it is THE lowest geared box available. I don't even reduce mine at the jackshaft..... L@@K at this. I shift it going UP hill. You have to have some reinforcement to keep it from turning in your drop-outs & proper chain tension a must have mod to work like the manufacture video.... This bike did over 50 MPH NO LIES! Level ground. Sea Level too.

Zack LARGE.jpg

OR as Frank Zappa wrote""...

Maybe you should live with yo MAMA
She could do your laundry & cook for you!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I really like the GXH50 too. Only prob is the width. From outside of Staton gearbox through adapter & motor measures 12 inches. To drive this on a rack mount to a NuVinci it would be off center by about 10 inches, unless a jackshaft or an extended shaft off the gearbox were used. Staton could probably do this if he wanted too. He could also machine the gearbox to mount straight to the motor & save 1 1/2 inches.

006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I really like the GXH50 too. Only prob is the width. From outside of Staton gearbox through adapter & motor measures 12 inches. To drive this on a rack mount to a NuVinci it would be off center by about 10 inches, unless a jackshaft or an extended shaft off the gearbox were used. Staton could probably do this if he wanted too. He could also machine the gearbox to mount straight to the motor & save 1 1/2 inches.

View attachment 25140

But, the adapter he uses allows the use of a clutch...

SLIPPING is not the issue here, what I am asking for is photos of how to use this thing at its maximum torque, which can't be as much as I need.
jawnn:

May I remind you of the statements that you made in the very first post of this thread.
jawnn said:
The Nuvinci gear-hubs for bicycles are worse than useless, they can't handle more than 26 gear-inches of torque with human legs meaning that any motor will make them slip.
All the replies dealing with slippage are responding directly to your unfounded statements.

It's obvious that you are ignoring what the folks who own a Nuvinci are telling you, AND you are ignoring what the folks who put effort into engineering calculations are telling you... A Nuvinci is capable of providing 170 pounds of thrust before it will slip (120 pounds derated.) 170 pounds of thrust would haul 400 pounds of dead weight up a 42.5 percent slope! It would need 2.5 HP and would only go 5 MPH, but, it would do it. (You could also do it with 1 HP at 2 MPH)

Later, you say
jawnn said:
Obviously I really need a motorcycle transmission and connect the to the drive wheel with an automotive timing belt. Last year I tore two chain link plates, not at once, but I am using the bicycle stuff at its limit. A motor would destroy it much faster.
Look, you need to stop making assumptions. You know the old saying about the word assume, right?

A motor DOES have a greater overall power output than does a person, BUT (and, yes, this IS a big 'but') a person generates lots more torque than a bike motor does. How's that possible??? When you peddle, you generate much higher peaks of torque than the bike motors can possibly provide. A graph of the torque for a biker would show a series of pulses when going uphill, and, to a lesser extent, when on the flat. It's the high torque pulses that are the most destructive to equipment, not a smooth flow of power with no high peaks. The Nuvinci hub is rated for between six and seven horsepower...

Finally, you say
jawnn said:
speed verses grade by weight?
If you need this information, calculate it! The speed/grade/weight numbers are entirely dependent on the power you supply.

Don't keep insisting that others do the work for you. Download the power calculator and run it, using your specific information, to find your answers. There's an on-line version as well, but, you'll have to do some trigonometry manually to convert from slope to degrees.

And, if you want pictures, go to Staton's site and see how he does it. Electric or Gas, it's the same issue of getting thrust to the wheels.

Last edited:
Back