CVT Nuvinci/ worthless for hill climbing

The Nuvinci gear-hubs for bicycles are worse than useless, they can't handle more than 26 gear-inches of torque with human legs meaning that any motor will make them slip. :eek:

The maximum torque before it starts slipping is 130Nm or 96 LbFT . One wheel revolution to one crank revolution is the lowest gear possible.

Some one told me they saw a video of some guy jumping on the pedals, and thought that it showed how strong the thing is. All it really shows is that it takes much more leverage to move in higher gear. And it shows how strong the chain is; I have torn chain links just climbing hills in low gear.

However there is an application that my be useful; let the motor do the job of bringing the bike up to a speed that you can pedal in high gear. the motor will have to be connected to the other side of the wheel.

Has any one experienced this device differently?

I thought for sure my Nuvinci N360 Hub was slipping. It was driving me crazy because I have one on another bike which never slips on any grade hill. I braced my bike against the wall and jumped up and down on the pedal with all my weight and could not get it to slip and since it does not slip on my other bike I was inclined to believe it was something else causing the problem. I took it out on a steep hill and strained my head watching the hub as it jerked and jumped and felt exactly like it was slipping but I saw it was skipping over the teeth on the rear cog - IT WAS NOT SLIPPING AT ALL. I then tightened the chain tensioner to about as tight as it would go. Guess what - ZERO skipping. I am riding up any grade hill with no slippage at all. Problem solved.

I thought for sure my Nuvinci N360 Hub was slipping. It was driving me crazy because I have one on another bike which never slips on any grade hill. I braced my bike against the wall and jumped up and down on the pedal with all my weight and could not get it to slip and since it does not slip on my other bike I was inclined to believe it was something else causing the problem. I took it out on a steep hill and strained my head watching the hub as it jerked and jumped and felt exactly like it was slipping but I saw it was skipping over the teeth on the rear cog - NOT SLIPPING.. I then tightened the chain tensioner to about as tight as it would go. Guess what - ZERO skipping. I am riding up any grade hill with no slippage at all. Problem solved.

I thought for sure my Nuvinci N360 Hub was slipping. It was driving me crazy because I have one on another bike which never slips on any grade hill. I braced my bike against the wall and jumped up and down on the pedal with all my weight and could not get it to slip and since it does not slip on my other bike I was inclined to believe it was something else causing the problem. I took it out on a steep hill and strained my head watching the hub as it jerked and jumped and felt exactly like it was slipping but I saw it was skipping over the teeth on the rear cog - IT WAS NOT SLIPPING AT ALL. I then tightened the chain tensioner to about as tight as it would go. Guess what - ZERO skipping. I am riding up any grade hill with no slippage at all. Problem solved.
If you have horizontal drops, pull the wheel back until there is very little slack in the chain. If you are using a Alfine tensioner (Like I am on one of my bikes), take links out of the chain until the tensioner is very taunt.

NuVinci Rocks

I have had a NuVinci for over 2 years now. It has never slipped. I shift gears while climbing the steepest hills. It still has guts/geared to go after my Honda 50 maxes out. I don't know where you dreamed that it is worthless. It is obvious to me that you have never used one. I had a GP460 powering one that was the BOMB. (Over 4 HP)

Did you title this thread to just get some attention? Or WHAT??? Check out my pic gallery. Set it up proper & it will climb a WALL!! No matter how fat you are.

I concur ... I thought for sure my Nuvonci N360 Hub was slipping. It was driving me crazy because I have one on another bike which never slips on any grade hill. I braced my bike against the wall and jumped up and down on the pedal with all my weight and could not get it to slip and since it does not slip on my other bike I was inclined to believe it was something else causing the problem. I took it out on a steep hill and strained my head watching the hub as it jerked and jumped and felt exactly like it was slipping but I saw it was skipping over the teeth on the rear cog - NOT SLIPPING AT ALL.. I then tightened the chain tension-er to about as tight as it would go. Guess what - ZERO skipping. I am now riding up any grade hill with no slippage at all. Problem solved.

I've experienced absolutely zero slip on my nuvinci, and with my weight and a hundred pounds of tow behind I get up a 25-30° grade rather well, however they built it they did it superb because even as the other guy said I can stand on the pedal and it won't slide down with my brakes locked.

I believe mine is the 2015 version and I installed it in March of 2016 so actually that's a year and a half of use minus probably 4 or 5 months of various downtime. It performed in freezing temps and sizzling upper 90's equally well. I loved that the hub flanges are equal distances from the center of the hub so no dishing needed for wheel assembly.

Good hub in my opinion really nice to be away from the clunky gears and being able to hit the gas hard without that smack from the gears going from freewheeling to pulling.

I don't know what the actual horsepower of the engine I was using but I could hit and sustain 50, that's pulling a gross weight of 300 pounds (me and bike) on 27.5 wheels. I've since forgotten the actual rating but it was designed with electric bikes in mind and I know it was rated at least 2 hp. That's probably for the popular 1500 watt mid drive you can find out there.

Back