Occ Schwinn Stingray

skrufryder

Local time
7:01 PM
Hey guys & gals.

I recently picked up one of the occ rays...I've been looking for aftermarket parts, forks and hubs nn such...and I noticed that under discriptions of some parts says "will fit schwinn sting ray and some occ models" dose anyone know what sets thee occ models apart other than the decals?

well, the occ chopper is labeled as a stingray, but it's nothing like an actual stingray.
when you think stingray, think old style Krate bike with the springer front forks and 16" front wheel.
nothing from an actual stingray will fit on an occ chopper, except for maybe the handlebars (ape hangers).

there really aren't any aftermarket parts for the occ choppers because these bikes are so unique.
even the rear hubs are unique because of the 4 inch wide rim.
The rear brake caliper is unique due to the width of the rear tire and rim. the tires are unique to this bike as well.
pretty much every part on an occ chopper is unique, except for maybe the front sprocket, cranks, pedals, hand grips and the front rim.

so when they say "will fit schwinn sting ray and some occ models", i would ask them to be more specific because it seems like a lot of people are throwing the name "stingray" around.
I have seen old huffy bikes being labeled as stingrays.

Last edited:
Yeah there is some aftermarket stuff strumy archer makes a 4inch wide 3 speed disc brake rear hub spacificly for schwinn that comes with a stick shift and a matching dual disc front hub, also four legged freak makes a springer front end, you will find that front end on the spoiler editions.. and some of the new stingrays arnt marked as occ models in the serial number to let you know if it left the pacific cycles as a reg stingray or occ model. yeah some people confuse the old stingray with a lot of thing, alot of manufacturers copyed it as it was such a great hit in america...oh and there is another company making tires for the rear rim. i'm not a vender and i hope i dont get banned for metioning this web site with out being in the vender area but check out www.choppersus.com they have alot of stuff for the new ray

Last edited:
I just picked up a new OCC Chopper on Craigslist last week. The only thing I've been about to find out about it is that the footrests on the forks were a Walmart exclusive. I hate the looks of the peanut tank on it so I"m having a mini beer keg tank made to put behind the seat. I ordered the engine mount from Barry on eBay but I'm not too thrilled about drilling holes in the frame so I'm rethinking that.

I just picked up a new OCC Chopper on Craigslist last week. The only thing I've been about to find out about it is that the footrests on the forks were a Walmart exclusive. I hate the looks of the peanut tank on it so I"m having a mini beer keg tank made to put behind the seat. I ordered the engine mount from Barry on eBay but I'm not too thrilled about drilling holes in the frame so I'm rethinking that.

I agree with you. the peanut tank looks terrible on the occ frame and i hate seeing these bikes with that tank used.
my occ does not have the footpegs on the forks, no front brake or brake provision and no front fender.
Mine is a 2004 and is one of the first versions that were made.

My son has an occ spider bike edition, which has webbed handlebars, spiderweb decals, a spiderwebbed seat, chrome dice valve caps and a schwinn speedometer. his has a front brake, front fender and the footpegs on the forks. the "stingray" lettering on his tires is done in red instead of the usual white letters
I know for a fact that this bike was not bought at wal mart, it was bought from a schwinn bike shop.
This was my nephews bike and his parents bought it for him from a schwinn shop a few years ago. They gave me the reciept when they gave the bike to my son this past summer.
where did you see that the footpegs were a wal mart exclusive?

occ stingray vs stingray

I am not refering to the original Stingray of 20+ years ago.

The schwinn Occ chopper has some slight differances from the non Occ. They are small changes and not really important. Such as a change in foot pegs, slight change in fork down tube clamping. The newer one does not come with the rubber steering bumper. The newer version front fender mounting is different than the earlier version. Some of The newer version also had front brakes.
There may be other minor changes but just about every thing is interchangeable.

Attachments

• dog-bike 008.JPG
    dog-bike 008.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 9,119
  • new%20pictures%20bike%20026[1].JPG
    new%20pictures%20bike%20026[1].JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 3,600
Sorry about the misinformation. I read it on a stingray blog somewhere. I just assumed that if it was on the internet it must be true. I'll see if I can find a link.

Thanks james65,
That was the kind of info I was looking for. I think the fender I was looking at must have been why it said fits most and some occ rays.
Hey hammond. I think you will be ok drilling holes in the frame. I assume the mounting bolts arnt to big...I have drilled holes in motorcycle and car frames to make them lighter. I mean they were good size holes. we did 3/4 inch holes in an old t-bird frame pretty much from front to back.I do agree with the p-nut tank ..The frames back bone is way to steep to mount it...Thats seems to be the problem with most of the chopper bikes.

yes you're right, the occ and non occ choppers are pretty much identical other than a couple of minor differences.
I don't know about the fork foot pegs because one of my occ's was made in 2004 (the first year) and it does not have the pegs, front fender or front brake. My son's occ was made in 2006, and his has the pegs, front fender and front brakes.
his has the rubber stoppers for the steering, where mine just has 2 allen head bolts screwed into the lower fork mount that bottom out on a small peice os flat steel welded on the lower frame tube.
I made my own sterring bumper to limit how far the forls can turn because if i let them turn all the way, the handlebars hit the gas tank.

You will be ok drilling holes in the frame for barry's mount, the bolts are 3/8".
you might want to put rubber between the mount and the frame, top & bottom. It will help dampen a little of the vibration that you'll get.
I can tell you that the mount is nice,but it isn't as solid as mounting the engine directly to the frame. there will be a little flex in the mount because it is a bolt on connection.

These bikes have come in at least 2 different frames. One of these is not seen often. I would like to know If the other Schwinn OCC Chopper frame style can use the same motor mounting stystem as the one commonly seen. I see a difficulty in trying to retain the crank with the frame that I have.

Attachments

• 101_0378.jpg
    101_0378.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 11,050
Back