Occasional power loss

Crawson89

Local time
6:28 PM
Hey guys! New to the forum, been lurking on here a while now, you've all been answering my many questions. This time I can't seem to find a related issue.
I've got a 66cc "black stallion" China motor kit from gas bike.net with 700km's of riding around town on it now. Been running great other than common issues, most recent fix was making a new gas tank out of 2 MSR camp stove fuel bottles and connecting with brass fittings + hose.

My new issue is an occasional loss of power. This thing will normally do 51km/hr top speed with no issues. Recently I noticed a slight bogging at top speed which I assumed was not getting enough gas at WOT and stuttering before the fuel bowl filled up again. Not an issue because 50k/hr is more than enough for me.

Now I'm having trouble getting power intermittently. Sometimes has all the go in the world and 5 mins later it will struggle to go up a slight hill and tops 30km/hr. Then out of nowhere it gets the power back. All in the same ride.

I just pulled it off the bike, used rtv sealant on the outside of the crankcase seals, used rtv on all side covers and re-installed, cleaned the carb, used rtv on intake/exhaust gaskets, made new fiber paper gaskets for intake/exhaust, new spark plug (ngk b6hs). And installed a washer under each acorn nut on the head. Also used dialectric grease on all electrical connections.

Bolted it back on and started up just fine, but still has the same issue! Started with low power output, once it warmed up I had a quick 50km/hr blast and then back to no power again.. don't understand what it could be! No evidence of oil leakage around headgasket or the lower gasket between jug and crankcase. And don't understand how a loss of compression could be intermittent. . Any ideas? Scared to pull the entire crank case apart just yet.. haven't pulled the head off because I have no replacement head gasket right now..

Thanks in advance!

problems like this will test your patience - first, I'd suspect a problem with something blocking fuel on and off like something floating in gas tank or float bowl weirdness like that - pulling the choke up a bit might show a change that could tell you something

next, would be intermittently weak ignition - clean and examine all connections and fittings carefully (try diff CDI & mag if you have spares)

Last edited:
thanks! have thoroughly cleaned + inspected carb, new gas tanks have 2 bottles feeding into 1 line, lots of gas pumping through to 1 fuel filter and into carb. have new magneto, magnet, cdi, head gasket and lower cylinder gasket on order. will check back in with results when they arrive. (just wish gasbike had real customer service and could ship quickly aha)

thanks!

worst case, if you become sure it is nothing mechanical getting ready to break, is to just ride it until it gets so bad it becomes easy to spot

Back