Ocean Park WA to Newport OR solo-run

augi- what about drag bars like mine, to take some weight off back axle? you'll lean pretty far forward with 'em. and since you're Yeti-sized, that'll stretch you out there, too. MHO straight bars would aid and maybe you won't have to do more frame-stretching than originally planned.

see my avatar?
that's me with my butt hanging off the back of the banana seat and into the tightest tuck i can accomplish. dragbars make for awkward steering in my case, it would require a re-e-ally long bike to work for me. plus it doesn't address that i'm still seated behind the rear axle & you know that just can't be a good thing.

i'm not giving up...i may not have plenty of funds, but i do have plenty of time on my hands, so like i said, if something changes for me i can still do it on the spur of the moment :)

the financial reason is a good one, my money is tied up every month right now paying off a deposit on my really nice new digs. it's well worth the sacrifice, i'm happy as the proverbial pig-in-doodoo :D

I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs with very long legs, and have had no bearing problems in over 1200 miles on my cheap Chinese cruiser bike. I made an extra long seat post to put the standard type seat high enough so I can extend my legs to a comfortable position. As a result I sit very high but not that far back.

Another suggestion is if you have caged bearings, do away with the cage and add an extra ball for more surface area. This is something I do with every bike I build.

Moth

both good suggestions. the tall seatpost does help with my leg length, but not enough, and that's a very tall frame, too, so you can see how much of a problem height is in my case. the rider/frame relationship needs some tweaking...it's like riding the front half of a bicycle, or as i said before, a unicycle with a front training wheel.

the frame-mod WILL take place, it's the logical move for me. things like bearing and wheel and whatever upgrades WILL occur someday, too.

:LOL: :LOL: it looks like you guys are more impatient for me than i am for myself :LOL: :LOL:

i think that's cool, & that's why i love it here 8)

Dang Augie, I was looking forward to the adventure myself. Maybe you could keep your eyes open for free bikes laying around for a new real wheel. Does your neighborhood have those neighborhood wide trash/recycle days where everyone just leaves there stuff on the curb? I could see if I could wrangle a rear wheel that would get you back if yours will get you down here.

Dan

i've been racking my brain & keeping my eyes peeled...

i'm thinking...there's a guy (former landlord) who probably has the extra bearings i need, maybe even a fairly new complete set, he's had his eye on one of the headlamps antique_rider gave me that won't hold up to the vibration, so...

also, the axle nuts aren't "serrated", i think that may have something to do with it, because yesterday i was able to loosen it slightly, then use my leathermans to reach behind and tighten the race a bit. locking nuts will be a free fix.

i surely want to go on this lil trek, stopping midway to tent overnite is part of what i look forward to.

so long as i know a fresh packing and adjustment will let me make it one-way, i'm satisfied. i'd prefer to be able to trailer/truck it on back home, tho, dan...i can guar-ron-tee you a hearty welcome from the ocean park gang & we'll have us a ride that'll make it all worth it 8)

Hey augie.What kind of bearing do you need.I've got all kinds of old bikes and parts.Find out what/size of bearings you need and I'll send you some.

Long distance Rider

HI Augidog, IMHO it might be worth a quick fabbing up of a trailer. The trailer would put little to no down-pressure on your already beleagered bike wheel (rear) and also allow you to shift significant amount of "carried weight" to "rolling weight' in the cargo area. If indeed the bike is sufferring already, adding the burden of your "traveling goods" will only exagerate the situation?.
Secondarilily, the trailer will allow for a lot more "spares" including, perhaps, a complete aired up rear wheel with drive sprocket? I dunno, I've built many of these bikes (tho not the several hundred I recently heard a newby lay claim to), and have also set up 1 bike for trailer, and had several customers sucessfully operate trailers for many miles.
I wouldn't pretend to even try to tell you what to do, only wish for you to consider the lbs vs wheel load and make whatever decision that will make you sucessful.
I applaud your idea of making a significant trip, and wish I could be along for the ride as it seems there are far too few adventures left for a guy to experiance. I do remember seeing a guy build a miniture "Teardrop" trailer that was the coolest, MAYBE the pics and build are still avail. Mike

it's probably getting more doable as our gang grows here.

JE: wish i knew enough to answer that but i can figure it out if i have to. i won't be shy about contacting you for help if i need it, thanks :)

mike: a thoughtful post, thank you for the encouragement. fabbing is the problem...i have the skills but no access to equipment. i think a trailer would be unsafe for some of the roads i'll be cruising, it'll be all i can do to stay on the white line and not take a sideview mirror in the elbow. i use the pack all the time now & it handles very well.

besides, packing on a motoredbike just sounds (and feels) so right!

i know i won't be able to resist in the long run...leave the light on, dan.

Back