Octane Ratings

B

bornagain

So I have bought a 48cc STARFIRE GENERATION II BICYCLE ENGINE KIT.

Here in England we have 95 ron to 98 ron.
Shell do the V-power 98 ron, would this be ok to use with these happy day engines?
Or is the octane level to high?
Also will using top quality 2 stroke racing oil be ok?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
just searching for info on this kit as im from the uk to. where did you buy yours from?
and have you installed it yet?
my biggest concern is noise and would love to get some feedback before i buy.

I would invest in a Golden eagle bike engine, these frame mounted ones are awful................dirty..........and so on.

the compression ratio on Chinese engines is about 6.6:1 and so the compression is not high enough to warrant the use of a high octane fuel. As for the oil, I recommend Bel-ray H1r, but ant good motorcycle specific 2 stroke oil will do.

but using high octane fuel such as 91 would not make it run improperly due to higher knock resistance(i guess means that it burns slower)/

most likely, it will not lead to improper operation. What I found was this. On cold weather starts, 85 octane worked better than 90> octane. Other than that the extra .60 cents a gallon is hardly a factor at 84 mpg.

just to throw in, i live in the U.S. so im not sure on what they serve as gas in the uk but i know that 93 octane fuel compares to regular unleaded fuel here and 84 is considered low grade. regular is recommended for these engines and 94 octane is all they need but i run premium in my bike because i like to give it a treat and if functions better when accelerating. i suggest that you dont run low grade in any small engine above 85cc's if that... this is because fuels are determined by their grade due to their spontaneous combustion level. if i ran 84 octane low grade in my dirtbike, it would not run properly because the pressure of the compression will heat up the fuel and cause it to combust before ignition, which leads to knocking and can cause serious damage to the engine.but if its worth your time to run low grade fuel in your engine than i dont think it will harm it but i would suggest to run regular or higher.

h

i use shell v power 98 octane works fine cold hot or warm in fact it even gives abit more ppower when the engine is struggling it gives a little boot

I use whatever gas i can find, as long as it doesn't have water in it.
My bike motors run the same if i use shell, speedway, B.P., citgo or sonoco.
87 octane is all i put in it(and everything else i have that requires gas).
they all seem to run the same no matter what gas is in it.

Back