odd bottom bracket!

zippinaround

Local time
7:42 AM
the other day i decided to see if i could fit a triple chain ring on my mb it wouldn't fit so i was putting it back together and my mind wandered i ended up shearing one of the crank bolts in the spindle! now i can't find a replacement spindle anywhere. its from a raleigh maverick made around 1985 i think. brought the spindle to my local bike shop and he said he couldn't get them and i cant find any online! any help appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC01609a.JPG
    DSC01609a.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC01610a.JPG
    DSC01610a.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC01611a.JPG
    DSC01611a.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 298
Old Raleigh bikes made in Nottingham did have some funny measurements.. their own 1" steerer for instance has a unique thread count.. they are odd things. I'm presuming the bottom bracket shell is standard BMX size? If you knock the cups out (insert wooden dowel, or large flathead screwdriver if you don't mind a few dents, and hit with mallet, turning to a different side as you go to knock evenly) then you should be able to put in a standard BMX size 3-piece crank or an adaptor for BMX bottom bracket to a modern mountainbike bottom bracket. Only problem is when using little adaptor kits and converting things on old bikes you can bring the costs up beyond the value of the original bike you're building on.

That sounds like the cheapest option; but there may be an option to put a triple chainring into the frame. http://sheldonbrown.com/raleigh26.html just past halfway down. Not sure this applies to your frame though. But yeah it's probably more expense and trouble than an old Raleigh frame is worth. Anyway, there's a few bits of info on that page about Raleigh oddities and what you can do about each oddity so I hope that's of some help to you. :)

Back