Odd issue..?, And small upgrade I bought...

markjs

Local time
8:34 PM
Firstly, I wonder, why does my bike always (worse when cold but sometimes even when warm). start up and run a few seconds with no real power or torque?

I'm not 100% certain it has always done this, but pretty sure it has. It's like, no matter what on starting it just needs to run a few seconds before full power comes on. Is this normal?

The other thing, and I'm scared it won't fit, but the price was right, and I hope it's a small upgrade? Anyway I went with Amazon, cuz free shipping and easy returns, but it seems to be the same pipe sold at other vendors. The picture makes me suspect it might mount oddly? anyway, I hope it will work, and produce some small gains...

51LjCD7navL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Those banana pipes don't do anything. The best pipe would be a custom designed for your specific engines port timings and desired rpm range. Lots of reading books and doing math formulas to figure out the right dimensions. then some delicate welding to get a perfect pipe. Oxy-fuel or tig would get the best results.

Obviously that isn't practical with most builder's budgets (time, money and energy) and skill sets This thread has good discussion on bolt on pipes. Thread 'Nasty Jack pipe vs CDH67 Jog pipe?' https://motoredbikes.com/threads/nasty-jack-pipe-vs-cdh67-jog-pipe.64076/

Those banana pipes don't do anything. The best pipe would be a custom designed for your specific engines port timings and desired rpm range. Lots of reading books and doing math formulas to figure out the right dimensions. then some delicate welding to get a perfect pipe. Oxy-fuel or tig would get the best results.

Obviously that isn't practical with most builder's budgets (time, money and energy) and skill sets This thread has good discussion on bolt on pipes. Thread 'Nasty Jack pipe vs CDH67 Jog pipe?' https://motoredbikes.com/threads/nasty-jack-pipe-vs-cdh67-jog-pipe.64076/
Nothing at all? I've always read reviews of folks saying it's a small upgrade from stock exhaust. Are they all just imagining gains or what? Being as it was under $30 and I have a second engine coming AFAIK with no exhaust (so it I get a second bike to mount the engine, I will need a second exhaust anyway), it's not a ''waste" no matter what if it's functional at all. Mostly I just need it to be reasonably quiet...

Nothing at all? I've always read reviews of folks saying it's a small upgrade from stock exhaust. Are they all just imagining gains or what? Being as it was under $30 and I have a second engine coming AFAIK with no exhaust (so it I get a second bike to mount the engine, I will need a second exhaust anyway), it's not a ''waste" no matter what if it's functional at all. Mostly I just need it to be reasonably quiet...
Way back before I knew anything about the parts for these engines when I built my first bike ever 10 years ago I got suckered into a pipe very similar to the one you posted the picture of. I can tell you from first hand experience that, if there is a gain, it isn't much. Drilling an extra 1/4" hole and/or shortening the baffle tube in a stock exhaust is more effective (and free). I couldn't tell a difference myself. I gained no top speed or any extra torque to accelerate. just more noise.

Firstly, I wonder, why does my bike always (worse when cold but sometimes even when warm). start up and run a few seconds with no real power or torque?

I'm not 100% certain it has always done this, but pretty sure it has. It's like, no matter what on starting it just needs to run a few seconds before full power comes on. Is this normal?

The other thing, and I'm scared it won't fit, but the price was right, and I hope it's a small upgrade? Anyway I went with Amazon, cuz free shipping and easy returns, but it seems to be the same pipe sold at other vendors. The picture makes me suspect it might mount oddly? anyway, I hope it will work, and produce some small gains...

51LjCD7navL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Well I guess I'll need to return it for a refund. The muffler hits the crank bracket and won't mount flush to the head because of it. It would probably work if I was using an engine mount that raised the front of the engine but I'm not. I have the engine mounted securely against the frame and that's where it's staying. Kinda sucks cuz I was really hoping for at least a little bit of gain, but at least it's unused and will have no problem returning it. Love that about Amazon, hassle free returns!

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Well I guess I'll need to return it for a refund. The muffler hits the crank bracket and won't mount flush to the head because of it. It would probably work if I was using an engine mount that raised the front of the engine but I'm not. I have the engine mounted securely against the frame and that's where it's staying. Kinda sucks cuz I was really hoping for at least a little bit of gain, but at least it's unused and will have no problem returning it. Love that about Amazon, hassle free returns!
If you want an actual power gain the regular long header MZ clone pipes with a cheap muffler stuffed in the stinger is a proven combo. That's why so many people use it. Great power increases in the RPM ranges these engines are meant to run. Top speed will only improve slightly, but the middle rpm range will accelerate much stronger.

This pipe as an example. paired with This muffler. The end of the muffler fits inside the stinger on the clone exhausts. To keep them together a high temp silicone coupler with a couple of hose clamps works well.

Back