Off-road Motorized Biking

Siromando

Local time
2:51 AM
Over the summer, I am going to make a motorized bike from this fat bike frame https://www.costco.ca/Northrock-XC00-Fat-Tire-Bike.product.100458247.html. I plan on using this bike for off-roading and mountain biking (will be doing heavy riding), as well as just riding around the city. Thus, I am looking for a configuration that is quite well rounded. I want a lighter engine (35cc) because I definitely want to mount it on the back wheel instead of on the frame. I plan on buying a Staton kit. Could you all just give me some general recommendations for me? Could I even do an axle mounted motor like this one http://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=371 Would it make sense to do a friction drive? What gear ratio do you recommend?

What sort of configuration would you recommend overall? I plan on definitely using the fat bike specified above, I just don't know what kind of kit to use...

Thank you!

no axle mount if you're off-roading. side clearance is a little more important on tight trails and loose stuff can smack the engine. can't speak on friction drive for offroading but belt/chain drive is pretty simple to set up and maintain.
Staton is a solid biz and if you call them, they will take time to help you choose the stuff you need and answer questions. not just sell you stuff
there's a fat eBike just like that in my neighborhood. the guy says it soaks up any bumps and really really comfy around the streets.

wish I could help more!

Over the summer, I am going to make a motorized bike from this fat bike frame https://www.costco.ca/Northrock-XC00-Fat-Tire-Bike.product.100458247.html. I plan on using this bike for off-roading and mountain biking (will be doing heavy riding), as well as just riding around the city. Thus, I am looking for a configuration that is quite well rounded. I want a lighter engine (35cc) because I definitely want to mount it on the back wheel instead of on the frame. I plan on buying a Staton kit. Could you all just give me some general recommendations for me? Could I even do an axle mounted motor like this one http://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=371 Would it make sense to do a friction drive? What gear ratio do you recommend?

What sort of configuration would you recommend overall? I plan on definitely using the fat bike specified above, I just don't know what kind of kit to use...

Thank you!
whart offroading we talking about? (single track, atv trails?)
if i were you eletric would be a better option all together, (instance torque, no complanets about engine nosie, more fun etc.)
those 1000w rear wheels are plenty!
you could even make it all wheel drive if you wanted to lol. (if you got the bling bling, and the time to wire it up)

keep us updated on what you chose! going to be a interesting build.

whart offroading we talking about? (single track, atv trails?)
if i were you eletric would be a better option all together, (instance torque, no complanets about engine nosie, more fun etc.)
those 1000w rear wheels are plenty!
you could even make it all wheel drive if you wanted to lol. (if you got the bling bling, and the time to wire it up)

keep us updated on what you chose! going to be a interesting build.
The main reason I am going with the gas route is that I have a limited budget... Generally, I can do gas for cheaper. I definitely understand that electric is better, but at the same time, I also live in Arizona, a place that is extremely hard on batteries. If you know of a rig that I could do for under $700 for electric, that would be much appreciated!

i been offroading with a full ridgit frame and cruiser tires fun stuff gets sore after a while though but i do it once in a while

The main reason I am going with the gas route is that I have a limited budget... Generally, I can do gas for cheaper. I definitely understand that electric is better, but at the same time, I also live in Arizona, a place that is extremely hard on batteries. If you know of a rig that I could do for under $700 for electric, that would be much appreciated!
well, a 1000w rear wheel conversion kit is 160$
heres the battery (its going to be a bit heavy, but its cheap!) another 160$ (if you buy 4, if you want to overvolt, buy 6)

another option is lipos. light and powerful! (around 400$ total, if you grab 2)

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Are you planning on riding steep grades and narrow rock trails with climbs and descents?

Honestly you're better off staying with a reliable CG and going with a Sick Bike Parts shifter kit. Anything short of this either in displacement or a single speed will not cut it except on the most gentle of gravel/hardpack dirt backroads.

Gotta remember those are 66cc's HT and a lot of kids dirt bikes are only 50cc's and do pretty well speed wise.

Well, I'm thinking most of the CG engines have a broad RPM range as stock. My own 48cc CG engine pulls quite well from about 2.6K upwards.

If the OP is planning on some Stanton gearbox with a Chinese 35 cc or so weedeater engine, that particular engine is going to be a disappointment in power, and the Stanton gear box weighs nearly as much as a CG engine alone does.

One thing the Stanton drive will have is forced air cooling, which in the desert would be better. A used kid's Yamaha PW50 or some 125cc pit bike would be a better investment.

Centralising the weight seems the popular thing in mountain bike and motorcycle design. I'm sure it will be better for all 'round handling, as well as for lifting the bike over unrideable obstacles like gates and fences.

Friction or belt drive won't allow you to easily change the ratio and can slip in wet and muddy conditions.
I think a single speed multi sprocket chain driven design would be okay for something simple and inexpensive, but a SBP Shift Kit would be a much better option if and when funds allow. 🤑

Back