Offset Axle Installation

Freddy Snottgrass

Local time
6:45 AM
I feel dumb asking this but I need to make sure before I assemble.

If my current even length axle is longer on the right, than left then the new offset Axle should be short on the right, and long in the left, correct? Seems elementary but I don't know if I'm forgetting something...

IMG_20220226_154128385_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220226_154120427_HDR.jpg

Also, I am installing Timken 6000 bearings. They feel heavier than the ones I pulled out, I didn't grab my scale. Hopefully these last a few bikes. They roll super smooth on my front wheel I have finished.

The drive cogs on the right need that extra space. the bigger the cog set, the longer the axle run out to the right. the left side should always be pretty close to the same for a given length, but the right side should change length depending on the cog set the axle is designed for. Some cog sets are a lot of gears and just use smaller and smaller spacing and chains, others get wider. I've noticed though over the years the makers are going with thinner chains and cogs, vs wider. On our bikes, the older thicker stuff works best, it would take up more of that offset on the right. If they weren't so rare, I'd tell you the cog set I use. I won't though, I haven't seen any of them in almost a year, they are rare. I buy them up fast when ever I see them. I may have the only ones left in the world. lol.

The cog set I use on my shifters, hasn't been in production in 40-50 years. lol

Okay yeah I got it. For me it is reversed. I will be compensating for a sprocket, spacer, brake rotor, then a disc brake adapter mounted on the axle. Perfect. Thanks for helping me make sure I wasn't seeing the solution for the trees. 🥴

I need a damn garage... Dude... I am all set on getting this bike thrown together today and tuned tomorrow... I can't find my screws that bolt my drive sprocket / brake rotor to the hub... ffs. Now in order for me to run to the store to spend $3 I gotta put away all my crap cuz I am basically working in the front yard on a busy street, run to the store for 15 minutes, come back, pull it all out, then be out of sunlight. I usually pay my neighbor a couple cigs to stand guard while I am gonna be right back, but he warned me when I was pulling my stuff out that he was gonna close the bar tonight... -- I am just bitching.

Anyhow, I got the bearings and axles all together and I think it is gonna line up nicely. I'll take a pic.

Back