Offset Intake: What Do I Need To Know?

yuckfoo

Local time
11:51 AM
Mongoose Dolomite build. I will need an extended intake manifold. I have heard that using these will cause a loss in performance due, I suppose, to the extended travel of the fuel mixture. I have no choice. Question: Should I buy one like the one in the link? Or am I better off making one from some sort of tubing to avoid the angles? The easy thing of course is to buy this one. Looking for advice on what to do. Thanks.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
LOVE those intakes. They have saved/solved many issues with my tinkering. I'd say getting the bike to work will offset any performance drop you may or may not experience.

Mongoose Dolomite build. I will need an extended intake manifold. I have heard that using these will cause a loss in performance due, I suppose, to the extended travel of the fuel mixture. I have no choice. Question: Should I buy one like the one in the link? Or am I better off making one from some sort of tubing to avoid the angles? The easy thing of course is to buy this one. Looking for advice on what to do. Thanks.

You could always cut the first bend off so the carb comes off at an angle, be careful though, you want it straight cut so the carb doesn't leak air.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
You could always cut the first bend off so the carb comes off at an angle, be careful though, you want it straight cut so the carb doesn't leak air.
I did as you suggested. Another question though. The extended intake is angled so that if you put the carb on the right side the intake runs down hill. If you flip the intake and put it on the left side it tilts the up. Does the intake rely on gravity? Or can I put it on the left side?

Loss of performance? Nope, shift in power band, no loss. It just moves the power band lower in the rpm range. Adds performance down low, i guess you could say, but takes it from the top. An depending on how you want your bike, it can be good. I prefer low end over all out speed. Hills dont care how fast ya bike can go, but you'll care about torque if you have lots of hills.

Carb should be as level as possible for best performance and ease of tuning. Do you have a welder or know someone who can? Easy fix for the slope of the intake with a hacksaw and a welder.

Back