Oh bother

Ah! so your plan has matured in to reality. Way to go Mickey! Two happy endings!

Yep, Doc. I think we are both happy with the deal.

I spent over a month rebuilding that C70 to mint condition. New carb, tires, various cables, brakes and a new seat cover. Its a 1983 12volt CDI model with only 1000 miles on the clock. Nick likes that it has gears and will go over 40 mph and still gets about 100 mpg. My daughter says that the old Hondas are tres chic among the scooter set.

Nick managed to break most of the cables on the Skyliner (as well as getting 2 flats in 2 months) The clutch lever broke in half as well. Luckily I sent him a complete used motor kit that I bought from somebody here and he just kept cannibalizing it for parts. He did get the bike to idle, something that I had not been able to do. Good training for him I guess.

Its kind of funny how well you get to know your bike. When I started looking at the bike I said Hey that's not the original nut, nor is that one! And what the **** is this piece of engineering on the front bracket? He's like Uh, yeah, the nuts vibrated off and the motor moved around on me but I got it back together. Not even having seen the bike in 2 months and everything thats not your own hand just jumps out at you.

The timing is good for me as the spring riding weather is now upon us. I have several Large Filipino mods that I have to make to the bike now :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Carp

Started working on the skyliner (after an spending the morning walking around the arts&crafts show) and when I took the motor off, I found the seat tube was badly cracked. Almost all the way around.

Clearly, I could use this as a peddle bike but is it still usable for motoring? I remember reading in one of our threads the suggestion that a sawn-off seat post could be forced to the bottom of the frame seat tube to reinforce it. I've got plenty of old parts. The crack is pretty low on the frame as you can see from the pictures

Attachments

• crack1a.jpg
    crack1a.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 186
  • crack2a.jpg
    crack2a.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 178
Wow! mickey, good thing you got it back from your son and found it before someone had a surprising effect that could of caused an accident. What is that frame made of?
By the condition, overall, it sounds like someone was having a great time on it. ( a little too great maybe, huh?).

Started working on the skyliner (after an spending the morning walking around the arts&crafts show) and when I took the motor off, I found the seat tube was badly cracked. Almost all the way around.

Clearly, I could use this as a peddle bike but is it still usable for motoring? I remember reading in one of our threads the suggestion that a sawn-off seat mounting tube could be forced to the bottom of the frame seat tube to reinforce it. I've got plenty of old parts. The crack is pretty low on the frame as you can see from the pictures

That looks nasty. Time for some spot welding

So, you guys think that ramming a seat post down and then welding the crack would be strong enough? What about cutting an old down tube and welding it as a gusset on the outside? Do you think that would be necessary?

The frame is mild steel I believe. Its certainly not aluminum 'cause its magnetic.

Ya Mickey, I would think if you put the tube inside and get lots of penatration on the weld, it would be stronger than original. No place to flex anymore either.

Back